Home Career & Education

Watch out for new Scam Jobs

JSM
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JSM polycounter lvl 8

NVM This isn't new as I thought. Already been a thing
as evidenced by another topic here https://polycount.com/discussion/226667/art-recruiting-email-scam 

So I randomly started getting job offers from some fairly prominent studios. Saying they wanted to interview me for a job position.
Then they take you and do a text only interview on a messaging app (like telegram) they say you'll start in a week but first you need to purchase equipment to do your work.
I.E.

"You need to have these items to begin work...

Maya and Autodesk Mudbox
Houdini software programs
ZBrush software 2020
Safescan TA-8020 Employee Time Clock System
Macbook Pro "14 inch" 2018 spec

The company will provide you with a start-up check this week to enable you buy the above materials along with a new MacBook for work, the softwares will be installed on the computer and they will come along with your employment paperwork’s, and ID card. You will purchase the materials from our accredited software vendor .

The vendor will cover for the shipping cost and we do this as a test of trust/ability to follow instructions, as well as so you can know the vendor personally for future purposes. The vendor will install the software updates, patches, perform manual data backups and secure data. She will ship everything via FedEx next day delivery."

it seems these scammers are scraping artstation for emails and targeting artists. This was highly suspicious in my case as I hadn't worked on my portfolio in years. And hadn't been looking. But I was excited "I could start getting paid for 3D and it was remote work" it wasn't until a friend reminded me to check email to companies website that I clued into it being a scam. 
It's a pretty sophisticated scam imo. They knew some technical 3d questions enough to make it seem legit.
I've also included the starting email.
Be careful out there.