Home Technical Talk

Why exactly is ray/path tracing so slow??

Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly depending on who you ask) google doesn't give any relevant results to such a simple query. So hopefully it's okay to ask here. My guess/intuition is that it's because of massive amounts of cache misses due to random memory access but i don't know for sure.

I could read about the entire algorithm in complete detail and then code up an implementation and then benchmark parts of it one at a time but that's quite a lot of work just to satisfy an idle curiosity, so sorry for the noise but the alternate route to getting an answer to this is just waaaay too much work.

I don't mind a technical/down to the nitty gritty detail answer in fact that's exactly what i am looking for which is why i am posting in technical forum.

Replies

• Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I've never written one and it's not my area so I'm to be taken with the largest grain of salt but I'll have a stab at this:

There are many reasons but the main one is because they're doing a LOT of calculations.

It depends on the renderer but when you set your sample rate you're essentially subdividing pixels. E.g. 4 global samples of a HD frame  means 4 rays per pixel * 1920 * 1080 == over 8 million rays. You might question the need for so many samples, after all there are only x many pixels why don't we just use x many rays! But well... firstly 1 ray may not accurately simulate the surface (think fireflies) and also the stability of your render will probably suffer temporally since you're relying on such a small dataset if you move your camera the same surface might produce a wildly different result. Put simply, if you don't sample enough then you'll probably see artifacts in your render.

Then you realise that 4 samples is extremely low... Cycles renders are frequently in the thousands, that's billions of rays for a HD frame.

Other than that, other causes for slow downs might be:
    • Renderers re-downloading the whole scene each frame because that's the only way it can handle geometry that changes topology or adds/removes points.
    • Applying post-processing
    There's plenty of optimisations such as geometry caches, splitting your paths etc. but the main point is: Lots of non-trivial calculations.
    My guess/intuition is that it's because of massive amounts of cache misses due to random memory access
    In commercial renderers this probably isn't likely because it's a highly SIMD task. The renderer pre-fetches all the information it needs at the start of the frame and then sends it to be processed, because of this it's likely not going blindly looking through memory because it should have basically constructed an optimal data structure first. The actual rendering itself has all the data it needs it just crunches through it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something I think this sentence is a bit off to me. A cache is when you have data in CPU cache that the CPU thinks is what is required by the program. A cache is miss when the program takes a turn down a branch that the CPU wasn't expecting, therefore it has to go get that information from RAM. I don't think there's a lot of branching code going on in path tracers since it's all heavy floating point math and not boolean logic, so I don't think cache misses are where the performance goes. It certainly would have been a performance hit at one point historically but I'd be surprised if it was still an issue in most commercial renderers.
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    The ray tracing algorithm itself is not particularly slow. The problem lies if you have a lot of triangles in the scene and or casting a lot of rays. In order to determine if you have a hit, you need to test the ray with every triangle. There are optimizations like setting up an octree to limit the number of triangles you need to check, or using some sort of voxel approximation, bounding boxes etc... but it can still be quite expensive if you are casting millions of rays with dense geometry.