Home General Discussion

O3DE - Amazon shifts Lumberyard to open source 3D game engine

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow, one would think they could afford at least a microphone and some foam pads !
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Open sourcing most of it with Apache 2.0 license is nice. No native linux editor yet but it's coming, always happy to see competition.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

Even when it's free it’s hard to compete against Unreal as it's amazing value and so well supported IMO. Not that I am knocking it, It's great that Amazon released it for open source rather than letting it die, I wish some other firms would do this, like Autodesk with Softimage, Mudbox and so on. 

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    So they bought an engine and - as per that article - rewrote it from scratch. Does that make sense to anybody who is not an engine coder? Sounds incredibly wasteful to me.

Linux version sounds cool, I wonder what the target for that is though (same with Unreal) - with games there can't be much money in it.

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I wish that too, big companies seem to want to sit on their IP just in case and letting them collect dust when it's no longer a money maker. I think I see this engine mostly as an alternative to Godot though, editor experience and tooling wise I don't think they're close to competing with Unreal/Unity meaningfully yet.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thomasp said:
    Linux version sounds cool, I wonder what the target for that is though (same with Unreal) - with games there can't be much money in it.

For instance in automotive presentation systems, say a virtual showroom where you can customize your car, the application runs on some server somewhere and gets streamed to your device
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    thomasp said:
    So they bought an engine and - as per that article - rewrote it from scratch. Does that make sense to anybody who is not an engine coder? Sounds incredibly wasteful to me.

Maybe Linux as first class citizen might help change that, developers love Linux but it's challenging for the game industry to support it. If the LF is behind it then clearly that's their initiative and they see value in it, but I expect Neox is right and this is more about services other than games.