Home Technical Talk

Base meshes with permissive license

I'm currently looking for base meshes with a permissive (Ideally open-source) license. I have no problems donating to the author, as long as the meshes themselves are under a permissive license that allows modification and redistribution. I'm mostly looking for a male and female base mesh with UVs.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a bunch here. They're free as long as you provide attribution, see text.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/BaseMesh

They're pretty easy to make yourself, once you have a few to study. And it's a good habit to get into... learning how things are made. Once you make one, you can reuse it every time.

I'll bet none of them have UVs though. At that low of a resolution, the UVs get really distorted once the model is subdivided/sculpted. Usually best to go to a mid-poly level later, and UV that.
  • BlenderBender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick thank you! H_M_A_base_final_nickZ was essentially what I was looking for, and his license is quite permissive and similar to open source. I'll try to generate the UVs from Blender and see what I can come up with. Skin is going to be hard, but hey, gotta learn. Do you know of any similar ones by nickZ, but for females?

I understand that, in a world full of Mixamo, Character Creator Pro and Meta Humans, my request seems foolish, but I'm not working on a commercial project and I can't be bound to licenses. Since I'm gearing the engine towards those two base meshes, as well as base skeletons, anyone that creates content for the game needs to be free from any legal constraints and be able to share their content with the community and also allow the community to iterate and contribute back.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want quality meshes and permissive licenses and want it done in a reasonable timeframe, for a commercial gig, then you'll want to pay for it. Lots of talent out there for hire, look around.
  • BlenderBender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, not commercial at all. All of the codebase is under MIT. All of the environment art and sounds (which I do) is under public domain.

Commissioning is definitely an option and it is the only way I found to get high-poly hardsurface models into the engine. I just wanted to know if there were like-minded artists out there with either CC or public domain content.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    polyhaven has some meshes, as far as i know they are all CC0 licensed

but no human models :(