Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Somethings feels wrong

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
Over the past week, I've been trying to follow many lighting & rendering tutorials to increase the quality of my shots. Of course though, there is always a problem either the persons version of UE4 is different and has different settings available or in a different location than my version. Or I swear sometimes these tutorials skip a step, because ill follow them to the T and not get the same response in UE4 as they are.

So with that said, I've been changing all sorts of settings and playing around with lighting, HDRI's, and Fog. But I'm still not feeling like my render quality & lighting are right yet. I feel like its washed out, and I understand the fog is going to do that, but I have it set so low if I lower it any more its pretty much gone entirely.

Any pointers or things y'all can notice right off the bat?
Thank you very much

Replies

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    This could be fog, reflections or tonemapping (and any combination). I would probably completely turn fog off, or use fog planes/volumes where you need it. Otherwise, make sure your cubemaps are set up correctly - check the reflection view for errors/inconsistencies that may be contributing specular where it shouldn't be. The water seems to be a candidate for this.

Adjust your tonemapping/colour correction gently to bring a bit more contrast in perhaps.

Unlikely, but make sure your albedo maps are being read as sRGB and not Linear. UE4 can be finicky and will refuse to interpret colour maps correctly if the source texture has a bit depth higher than 8bpc, even if they're set to sRGB. If you do have albedo maps in 16 bits or whatever, try making copies at 8 bits and reimporting them.

What do your render/bake settings look like?