Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ WIP ] Asylum Medlab

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
RustedFaith3d triangle

This is very rough, and very preliminary. I've been working on this project for awhile, and I wanted to get some input from the community while I'm working on some other assets. I'd like to hear opinions about everything. Trying to find the best way to compose the scene and make it appealing and interesting.

I'm currently modeling a wheelchair and would like to add some medical blinds tables/trays IV stands etc. Possibly a fuse box. I'll likely get rid of the shelf and boxes and place a boarded up window. The theme is basically an abandoned asylum that someone restored power to it and is up to no good in the wee hours of the morning. I'd like to try to add other things that help sell that story.

I'm trying to get a job in the industry and I just want to make sure my portfolio is up to snuff. 

Replies

• Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hay man! Firstly I'll start by saying I'm liking how far you've taken it so far, and I think it can be pushed for sure!

colour wise, you've started to do something. you've incorporated blues in the surgery room which will help show the difference in function between the two rooms prior to the abandonment. Which leads me to start off any crits with a wee list:

1. It's abandoned! you've said it was abandoned and has been reclaimed and is now being used. This could be a good area to explore to show which era this is right now. If it has typical spray can graffiti on the walls, this could show it's during the current day. If not, then are their other ways of showing that it's say...5 years after or so? maybe even just 6 months post abandonment?

2. You stated the time of day is perhaps in the 'wee hours of the morning', how can we show this and even take it a step further by linking it with number 1. let me suggest one example: Thin windows on the left side of the room, just below the ceiling could suggest the location of the room (commonly seen in basement level rooms), this would let natural early morning light pour in giving a hint at the time of day. now lets link it with how we can suggest how long its been abandoned....let's say, there were planks of wood barricaded to keep riff raff out, and the person who has moved back in has simply removed them and placed them to the left of the door. This shows it's not been THAT long since he's moved in, and maybe even hint at his personality (in that despite that he's trying to do shady things....he kinda likes sunlight?)

3. The distinction between room A and room B.
    so far room A (the one we're in) looks like a storage room. and room B looks like a surgery. How can we show what he's doing with both rooms?

If you intended to do some body parts and gorey stuff, he preps body parts and cuts them up and pieces different parts together in room A, and wheels them into room B for the final touches?

If it's not gorey, but rather has some logic to it, perhaps he has pumps and cannisters and tubes of experimental liquid that flows in tubes that flow around onto the floor and into the room hooking up to a poor subject tied to the surgery chair?

sorry it's long, but it's MIGHT inspire something for you to play with :)
  • RustedFaith3d
    Offline / Send Message
    RustedFaith3d triangle
    Hay man! Firstly I'll start by saying I'm liking how far you've taken it so far, and I think it can be pushed for sure!

colour wise, you've started to do something. you've incorporated blues in the surgery room which will help show the difference in function between the two rooms prior to the abandonment. Which leads me to start off any crits with a wee list:

1. It's abandoned! you've said it was abandoned and has been reclaimed and is now being used. This could be a good area to explore to show which era this is right now. If it has typical spray can graffiti on the walls, this could show it's during the current day. If not, then are their other ways of showing that it's say...5 years after or so? maybe even just 6 months post abandonment?

The asylum was shut down in the 80's after a patient uprising where most of the staff and many patients were murdered. They basically locked the place up and left it as is. So it's been vacant for roughly 40 years.

2. You stated the time of day is perhaps in the 'wee hours of the morning', how can we show this and even take it a step further by linking it with number 1. let me suggest one example: Thin windows on the left side of the room, just below the ceiling could suggest the location of the room (commonly seen in basement level rooms), this would let natural early morning light pour in giving a hint at the time of day. now lets link it with how we can suggest how long its been abandoned....let's say, there were planks of wood barricaded to keep riff raff out, and the person who has moved back in has simply removed them and placed them to the left of the door. This shows it's not been THAT long since he's moved in, and maybe even hint at his personality (in that despite that he's trying to do shady things....he kinda likes sunlight?)

Thin windows would be nice if that were actually a storage room. It's actually at the end of a hall. It is in the basement There is a staircase going up just to the right. Which is another reason I want to ditch the shelves to the left. I might  put a window or two on the left. It would help break up the wall, and also let a little more light in. I might bust a few windows and have some vines / weeds / and moss encroaching inside.

3. The distinction between room A and room B.
    so far room A (the one we're in) looks like a storage room. and room B looks like a surgery. How can we show what he's doing with both rooms?

If you intended to do some body parts and gorey stuff, he preps body parts and cuts them up and pieces different parts together in room A, and wheels them into room B for the final touches?

I don't want to go gory with it, but I'd like it to be implied. I want the place to feel like it has a history, and some areas I want to have people feel uncomfortable about. Like this scene, I want it to feel like you've stumbled onto this room, you know nothing good is going on here, and whoever is doing it could be back at any moment.

If it's not gorey, but rather has some logic to it, perhaps he has pumps and cannisters and tubes of experimental liquid that flows in tubes that flow around onto the floor and into the room hooking up to a poor subject tied to the surgery chair?

I was thinking I'd like to have some cables running from the room and down the hall toward the camera. I don't really want to add any victims in the scene. I'm primarily a hard surface / environment guy. I would like to add the character that's doing this though at some point, but for now. I just want to land an industry job building props. I'd like to finish this up as quickly as possible so I can start working on some futuristic props to show I can do that as well.

sorry it's long, but it's MIGHT inspire something for you to play with :)

Man, thank you so much for your time and input, it's very much appreciated! Wish you all the best!

• RustedFaith3d
    Offline / Send Message
    RustedFaith3d triangle

Just finished the high poly wheelchair. About to send the seats to zbrush for some additional detail.
  • RustedFaith3d
  • RustedFaith3d
    Offline / Send Message
    RustedFaith3d triangle
    I have to call this done and move on to other things.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Gay2rN