Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Howl's Moving Castle Bathroom - UE4

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
melisac polycounter lvl 8
Hello all! My name is Melisa and I'm an aspiring artist here in Toronto. 

If you've seen any of the Studio Ghibli movies before then you've probably come across a scene that made you think "I gotta model that!". For me this scene was definitely Howl's bathroom. There is so much information to work off of and the colours and overall atmosphere are striking. I also like how small the room is as it'll really help me to focus on producing a few high quality assets, as well as work on improving my materials.

My goals for this scene are to push the limits of my current skill set to produce AAA quality level work. This would look like
- High quality materials in SD
- Beautiful assets that aren't rushed for the sake of being in scene
- Nice and natural blends between different elements in the scene
- Beautiful shaders for the water and the glass bottles/window

Some areas of concern I have approaching this scene is making the paint splatters on the wall look believable. I've previously tried modeling paint splattered objects and they came out looking flat. I am aiming to be really  patient and keep working away at the blemishes until I'm totally satisfied. I'm also not too comfortable with creating crazy shaders in UE4, and often struggled with glass and water. This time around I will focus on learning UE4's material editor to create nice looking shaders!

Here is the references I've gathered so far. These will be expanded as I continue along.

and here is my blockout in Unreal

Replies

• melisac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A more refined blockout and I've slightly extended the room. I'll probably be sticking to these 2 shots for my final renders. Next up I will be working on getting a good lighting pass, as well as working on the wall materials. 

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    This is such a cool project and you are a brave person for tackling this! I can't wait to see how it turns out
  • melisac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is such a cool project and you are a brave person for tackling this! I can't wait to see how it turns out
    Thank you! Admittedly as I work on this more it is a lot harder than I initially thought. 
  • melisac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small updates to the scene! I've got a solid foundation for my lighting and a concrete material on the walls. I tried to create a material with a finer grain blending into a larger blobbier grained cement. However this look is too repetitive and overall just looks bad. I will instead create 2 separate materials and blend them together through vertex painting. 

Next up I'm either going to work on a basic glass shader for all the bottles in my scene. Or I will tackle a bigger prop such as the bathtub!