Hello everyone! Thanks for checking my post, I am currently attending CGMA's UE4 Modular Environment course taught by Clinton Crumpler and I decide to write a series of blog of my weekly update for this project.
It's a 10 week course and it is mainly focused on developing a game environment by using modular parts in Maya and UE4, and I decided to choose an abandoned bar environment to work on. Our first week of the course is mostly about gathering and analysing references, scheduling and planning the project, and creating blockout with an industry standard modular workflow.
I don't have a particular concept to follow, it's mostly a collage of different reference images.
To start with, I quickly blockout the wall in Maya, without making it modular first, just to plan my interior space. Then I built very simple blockout of my main furniture modular pieces and throw them in it to adjust the space. Then in photoshop I did a quick sketch on it to divide my modular pieces. The goal is to use as few modular pieces as possible to build your space.
After I finalise the size of all my modular piece, I moved to Maya and start building my modular meshes with more details. It's still ok to amend the shapes at this stage if you found some errors when building them.
This is what I have in Maya at the time, the silhouette of your modular should be as close as your final pieces as possible. They should have a good pivot point on the grid, and every modular should nicely snapped to each other when you assemble them.
For week02 of our course, the assignment will be properly setting up and assembling our modular piece in Unreal in an efficient manner. And I will start detail planning the texture I will be using for both tileable and unique ones, and same time keep developing my mesh.
Thanks for checking out my work and feel free to let me know your opinions about it so I can improve them in the future!
Or check out more detailed post on my ArtStation blog: https://www.artstation.com/hsclaratan/blog
See you next week!