Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some portfolio feedback please

Hi all, I'm finished studying this year and I want to risk it and start applying for potential job opportunities in the games industry.
I've done a lot of self of self study and am still learning new things everyday. 
Anyways I would appreciate some constructive criticism on my portfolio from you guys.

AmaTimTim: timdesign.artstation.com

Replies

• Lewis_kennedy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewis_kennedy polygon
    looking through your work I can tell you're developing pretty well as a 3D Artist, but I'm a bit unsure what type of 3D Artist you want to be, your portfolio is lacking a bit in focus, there's work here that would suit a general artist or an environment artist, but my guess is you want to be a character artist right?

I'd start by trimming down your portfolio a bit to make it more cohesive, remove or update pieces you don't think match the quality of your current works, a portfolio is to show off the best of your ability, so they'd just hold you back. Your current best works are probably your gun, Strauman piece and Bust, they're definitely high quality works, great job on them.

In general you need to show more wireframes and textures and such, you should show that you're capable of making game ready assets, the assets look great, but that'll only get you so far, show that you can make good UV layouts and low poly counts, also I might be wrong about this, but is that Strauman model rigged? if so definitely demonstrate that by showing off the rig and a few animation demos, or just some gifs of you moving the rig, good character rigging will definitely put you a step above your competition in an employers eye.
  • AmaTimTim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I appreciate your advice! I have never thought of using GIFs to show my skills. 
    I'll start trimming my portfolio and adding new pieces as I go. I didn't think retopology needed to be demonstrated but I'll include wireframes in my next projects.

I feel confident in a lot of things and I admit my portfolio seems unfocused cause I'm just trying everything out! I know I'm supposed to choose a slot in the production pipeline but how can I when they're all so cool?  And understanding other parts of the discipline helps in understanding art as a whole. I know I cant be good at everything but I wish could make it my life's mission to at least try to be. So how do I decide on what to specialize in when I would be happy in any role at a games studio? XD

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, so it looks like you've got a bit to go. A lot of your work is simple, or does not reach a professional level on the quality bar. Lewis was right, you need to really focus. Do you want to make characters, environments, or 2D concepts? You really need to pick one in order to succeed and land a job. Currently, the only think I would suggest keeping is the Death Race car. The weapon skin might be good to keep, but needs some new renders. I would start working off of cool concept art exclusively, as well as jump into a chat room and really get to know other artists who you can chat to frequently. Find some cool portfolios on ArtStation, of professional artists, and study the difference in quality, and what makes theirs so good. Last piece of advice is to keep making art all day, every day! Good luck :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    [...]"understanding other parts of the discipline helps in understanding art as a whole."

Not even close, for example organic anatomy doesn't translate across to mechanical hard surface or visa versa alongside traditional art foundations, as well.

"I know I cant be good at everything but I wish could make it my life's mission to at least try to be."

At this point, an ineffective mindset to ponder as a beginner.

"So how do I decide on what to specialize in when I would be happy in any role at a games studio?"

Simply put, your current portfolio speaks volumes thus in no position to assume any given production role will accordingly suit, plus also note a generalist has usually acquired industry experience behind them to make an intuitive decision too branch out on their own, well at least the artists I personally know of. So seriously consider advice previously offered up-thread.

Indeed, choose a specialty worth spending months or even years upon learning digging down deep to achieve mastery whilst keeping in mind your competition are those already working professionally.

Relevant thread that will provide additional info of the quality benchmark required:  
    https://polycount.com/discussion/187512/recently-hired-in-aaa-show-us-your-portfolio/p1

A selection of stickied Career resources: