Home Adobe Substance

isometric tile renderer in designer - because I can't think of anything more useless to do with it

poopipe
grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
poopipe grand marshal polycounter
I started mucking around with mapping megascans textures on to isometric cubes because I was bored  - the initial work is in the show your stuff thread. 

Then I got a bit carried away and it became apparent I needed a thread

So - now I've ended up with a functioning isometric renderer that supports movable point lights, directional light and normal mapping

You feed it isometric boxes made of 6 faces, these can have textures and tangent space normal maps assigned. The node allows you to select which faces of the box are visible. the box creation node has a number of outputs to support color, ts normals etc

The tiles are laid out in an isometric grid in a way that ensures draw order is correct.
In order to support movable point lights I have a specific variant that generates a world position for each cell in the grid 

after that it's just a case of transforming the tangent space normals into world space, adding a directional light and then some coloured point lights

There's a couple of things to do wrt to resolving relative z-position of lights and the floor (currently floor is not at z=0)
I also want to make a tile layout system based on an input texture so as to allow level layout to be defined as a simple bitmap 

It shouldn't be particularly difficult to adjust the projection type - i'd just need to hook a few things together.
It might actually be possible to implement camera orbiting but I'm making no promises there. 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I got the map layout stuff working and dealt with the snaggly edges. 
    There's only support for 3 tile types at the moment but it would be fairly trivial to add more. 
    I really need to work out why I'm getting such pronounced grid lines between tiles next - could just be a case of adding some fudge to the tile sizes 

the map

the result

I have serious doubts about my ability to make the lights cast shadows