Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized magic potion / vial

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aemilion triangle
Hi everyone!
My Artstation where you can see the piece in detail: https://www.artstation.com/aemilion 
This isn't my first project for 2021 but I wanted to approach the idea of Stylized glass and so I created this magic potion / vial. 
As a workflow I first modeled everything in Maya, the low poly for the sculpt. I took the Low poly for the sculpt to Zbrush and sculpted details to suggest the elements as much as possible in a stylized manner. I retopologized  the objects manually and eliminated the extra vertices I made for support and still in Maya, I UV unwrapped from camera view because I felt like it's much more intuitive like so. I took the low poly into Substance Painter and baked the high poly sculpt onto the low poly obj. The tricky part was of course in SP because here I had to be a little more inventive with the opacity and roughness layers to obtain the glass-like material. In the end I took the low poly model into Blender this time and with node wrangler on I just added the materials in. I had to also find a way to balance the IOR with the transparency and Alpha in Blender. I actually wanted to finish this in Blender because I was able to obtain a dramatic light effect for this stationary object so I did this in Cycles.
I hope it's not too sketchy  but I really  would love to know what you think about it. Also please tell me if this workflow would make sense in general. I know that most game engines don't use ray tracing so this magic potion wouldn't look like this in a regular game but I found that this workflow was the easiest for showcase this idea of stylized glass.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks sick my dude. I personally don't spend too much time with the opacity in painter for glass, I usually wait until it gets to UE4 or whatever I'm rendering in, and tweak the opacity in there.
  • Aemilion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aemilion triangle
    Looks sick my dude. I personally don't spend too much time with the opacity in painter for glass, I usually wait until it gets to UE4 or whatever I'm rendering in, and tweak the opacity in there.
    Thanks a lot! I also had to polish it to actually look more glassy in Cycles but I guess if I would have rendered it in UE4 I would have had to do the same lol. I just wanted to literally work out my glass skill on this one.