Home General Discussion

How do you organize your digital art files on your computer?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
How do you organize your 3D files (maya, blender, 3ds max, etc)? What about other project types like photography, graphic design, or game projects? Unreal/Unity projects? I have a bunch of these types of projects and I'm pretty organized but I would like to make my life easier and find my files faster. So I thought I get an insight or tips from you guys if any of you have an efficient system of organizing your design files.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • Oblivion2500
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oblivion2500 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the tip. I just finished reorganizing my files. I sort of got inspiration from ArtStation search function when you're searching for the type of mediums. I basically have an HDD filled with my digital files. So I structure it something like this:

My Files / Data > Art > (Different Types of Art) > Etc.

This helps me find my work base on type and category quickly. My UE4 projects are just located in the Art folder if it's an art project instead of a game project. That way UE4 won't freak out about too long string for the file location. I also did a lot of renaming and reorganizing each project I ever did and made a system. Each project has a folder of folders. Each folder is base on content such as Audio, Textures, OBJ, FBX, Maya, Blender Files, Video, Screenshots, Documents, References, etc. You get the picture. 
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    usually i have folders for textures, wip, meshes etc and one FINAL folder where i put my final model.
    and then there´s a final_2 and final_3 for the really final models and a really_final and really_final_2 for the final final