Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cave Troll - Game Ready Character

Hi everyone, 

I would like to share with you guys my latest personal project. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome!!!

Game ready model based on the movie version of the Cave Troll from Lord of The Rings.
High Poly mesh was done inside Zbrush, retopology and Uvs in Maya, baking and texturing with Substance Painter and finally render was done inside Marmoset Toolbag.
Full character has 33k tris, using 2 packs of 4k texture.
ArtStation - Júlio Rodrigues
Júlio Rodrigues (@jrodrigues_art) • Fotos e vídeos do Instagram

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That looks dope! I think you killed it on the sculpt, good job. Some crits;

- The first render, you can see a lot of jagged shadows caused by polygons. This can be seen on the brightest area of the skull, on the left shoulder, right shoulder, chest. I'm not sure if thats caused by not enough polygons, but maybe you could fix it by softening the shadows?
    - I feel the skin texturing looks a little generated. The cavities are all discoloured in the same way. If you compare the cavities of his face, it has the same off white which the pore cavities on his chest have. It sort of adds a pixel-like feel to it, and makes the texture look somewhat low resolution.
    - The hammer looks like it needs a bit more thought put into it. It looks rushed. Looks like it was made of all one mesh. It's super low poly as well, for a character of 33k polygons.
    - I think you could crank up the SSS on the material.
  • JúlioRodrigues
    That looks dope! I think you killed it on the sculpt, good job. Some crits;

- The first render, you can see a lot of jagged shadows caused by polygons. This can be seen on the brightest area of the skull, on the left shoulder, right shoulder, chest. I'm not sure if thats caused by not enough polygons, but maybe you could fix it by softening the shadows?
    - I feel the skin texturing looks a little generated. The cavities are all discoloured in the same way. If you compare the cavities of his face, it has the same off white which the pore cavities on his chest have. It sort of adds a pixel-like feel to it, and makes the texture look somewhat low resolution.
    - The hammer looks like it needs a bit more thought put into it. It looks rushed. Looks like it was made of all one mesh. It's super low poly as well, for a character of 33k polygons.
    - I think you could crank up the SSS on the material.
    Thank you Thomas!
    It's my first Lowpoly Character project, so I will pay attention to the crits You pointed to improve my work, your feedback help me a lot!