Home Technical Talk

MD cloth animations, Zbrush, Maya, Unreal workflow conundrum

burrotito
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
burrotito polycounter lvl 2
Hi all I am struggling here to create a workflow. Would love some input from anyone.

My goal is to have either morph targets or alembic animation data, of a baked cloth simulation that I can use in unreal engine. I know you can do it in-engine but it will lag out for my use case.

Essentially I can’t just make the cloth simulation in marvelous and export it to unreal, because I want to add additional details to the garment in zbrush or Maya, as well as change the topology. If I change the vertex order at all then morph targets won’t work, and even with an alembic file I wouldn’t have animation for the additional details.

so I need some way to get a final mesh into marvelous. Marvelous has an OBJ to Garment option but it crashes or runs extremely poorly. Right now it’s broken for me but I continue experimenting with it.

I assume people create an animation in marvelous, and then retopo their mesh and use UV vertex position to transfer the animation to the retopologized mesh. That surely won’t work though I have additional details, right? I am derping on how to approach that.

So I though ok, I’ll make the garment in marvelous, export to zbrush, and then import the final mesh to Houdini and use their vellum solver. Can you use a solid, welded mesh as a basis for vellum? I’ve searched and so far only seen people making the clothing from scratch in Houdini.

There’s also iclone that has PhysX cloth (I think) that you can import an OBJ and it just works. Problem being it doesn’t look very nice. This is a last resort.

There’s also ncloth for Maya that can apparently be applied to any mesh like iclone. I will experiment with this tomorrow.

With any of these solutions the problem remains the same... how to have a multiple garment layer (shirt, jacket, and pants) animation, and apply it to a simplified retopology?

I definitely don’t need a spoon feeding I just need some bread crumbs to follow. I’ve been thinking about this for weeks but I just don’t have enough experience!  Thanks for reading.