Home Technical Talk

Environment Art 101 - What would you like to learn?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
I'm thinking of creating a youtube series where I'll create a complete Environment from A-Z and guide you through the process.

It would be great to know what you would like to see or things I can touch on. The series will be targeted towards beginners, so there are no "dumb" questions! :)

Anything you don't understand and you can't find many tutorials on?
Or maybe you just like to have someone run through the environment art creation process?

The videos will be similar to the ones Quixel do when they breakdown their process.

Let me know your thoughts and ideas, I'm curious!

(btw I did ask this question in here before, but then Covid hit and you know the drill...Revisiting this question to see if things maybe changed/new ideas)

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    How to make believable low poly tree foliage  in less naive style then typical speed tree for games one ?   How to fake lighting without  foliage casting shadows on itself ?    Could it  work nicely  somehow  without texture expensive imposters at distant lods ?           

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds great, thanks for asking!

To promote your tutorial, it would help to show end result visual quality.

It would also help to indicate your background/experience. Each viewer is going to ask, Does this person know what they're talking about.

To that end, it would help to add a portfolio link in your profile, and signature.
  • einnemee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    einnemee node
    gnoop said:
    How to make believable low poly tree foliage  in less naive style then typical speed tree for games one ?   How to fake lighting without  foliage casting shadows on itself ?    Could it  work nicely  somehow  without texture expensive imposters at distant lods ?           

I agree it would be useful to see some tutorials to create trees without SpeedTree. I just posted a topic asking about this here: https://polycount.com/discussion/225416/do-people-still-create-trees-like-this#latest

I think as a beginner it's difficult to understand the workflow of how to create an environment from scratch, understanding how to transfer the work from different softwares e.g. from Maya to Mudbox to Substance to Unreal - it can be a little confusing. So maybe an overview video of how a project would be planned and split up and then detailed tutorials of each step within the different softwares. 

I also think that with some tutorials that take you from A-Z of a project, it's easy to simply follow each step and create exactly what the tutorial shows, so breakdown videos of each technique eg. Modelling, UV mapping, material creation, lighting etc.would also be helpful. 

Would love to see what you come up with!
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Some great thoughts and inputs here, thanks everyone!