Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

Hey guys!

I'm a Computer Games Design graduate looking for work and wondered how good my portfolio looks to people who aren't me. I've spent a lot of time creating things I think to be eye catching and would love to get some feedback in order to catch the right eyes. Posted the link below as well as a few images to give a taster of what is on there.

Portfolio Link: - https://jayhalldesign.wixsite.com/arts
Thanks 
Jay

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    First off, I would say move your folio from WIX to Artstation.  I'm on a decent connection and having your stuff load was taking some time which shouldn't be an issue at all.  The format is poor as well as once you click on a piece, you have to then click the arrows to see different shots.  Have them all on one page so that you aren't asking someone to constantly click through all your images.  As for the work, you should really focus it to whatever you actually want to work on it games (characters, environments, fx, animation, etc).  You could have both characters and environments but separate them by category and only forward the appropriate section for applications (IE only show character art if you're applying to character art roles).  As of now, your work reads as very student level.  Most of it feels very unfinished.  You have the royal knight at the top and it's one of your weaker pieces.  The Division 2 fanart is probably your strongest piece but still needs the quality pushed significantly.  The royal knight and other character stuff should probably be improved on greatly before being in your folio.  I didn't even bother with the environment stuff as the entries were so slow to load but it appears as if your env work is stronger then your character work.  Some of the weapons look ok but again, I'm only judging that stuff on the thumbnails.  Overall advice is to take a step back, strip everything out of your folio, and focus on making one AAA quality asset.  Choose your focus, and make the asset for that focus.  Compare your quality to someone you admire.  You need to hit as close as possible to pro quality work.  
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    Everything Slosh said.  

Find that studio gig you really wanna hit and make some fan art of that studio’s work.  Work from concepts that are established from their team that may not have made it to final 3d models.  Hit the bar where they are in their production level, then show a little creativity that doesn’t deter from their work but shows a little of yourself and your own creativity.   Working along side other artists and matching the work together can sometimes be a challenge, and if you’re going to work beside them, your work has to hold up beside theirs to where the studio couldn’t tell a visual difference. 

Also really explore the style YOU feel most passionate about.  If you’re in this for the art that allows you to tap in and create, then you just need to find that style that really expresses that passion visually through the work.  What are you pulled to?  What do you feel resonates most with your audience when you show them your work?  I showed my portfolio years ago to a few pros at a convention, and each one really picked up on the one piece I had the most fun creating because they could feel the energy just by looking at the work.  Tapping into that is essential.  It doesn’t always come easy, and for some it simply takes time.  

If you’re passionate about the work and the process, you’ll get there. 
  • ShifflettArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShifflettArt polycounter lvl 2
    Wow. From my perspective I'd say your stuff looks pretty cool, but the responses here. A lot of good information to apply to my own portfolio! I realize yes, I am certainly not ready to share mine just yet. 

Like I said, it's all very nice looking, but I can agree that the environments seems to be the most appealing.