Home Career & Education

How can i be sure a 3d character i make has value?

focus_method
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
focus_method polycounter lvl 4

Hey guys,
Of course I am aware there is a lot of shitty cgi. There is a good cgi and bad cgi. Good art and bad art.

I mean we can build these days 3d character from basemesh,,scans,using a lot of alphas,projecting textures, to get on time, sewing cloth in MD and thats actually circa 50% computer made. So what makes 3d character artist valuable in the market/industry actually?

(Besides good art, something that's appealing,nicely painted,visually good) it is it's functionality I assume? Good uvs, clean topology ready to be animated?

Who will guarantee to me 3d character is worth it? That I will get a job, or sell it on the market? just asking.
How can I be sure its not just one in a row of thousands others on the internet collecting digital dust?

For example if you can build a functional house, somebody will buy it. That's for sure. 99%
If you can build a website, you will be employed.
If you know how to drive and park a truck ,you ll be employed.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I think you're underestimating how hard it is to get a web development job.

There are more people than houses so demand outstrips supply and it's a seller's market.

There are more character artists than characters that need making so it's a buyer's market.
    You probably won't get a job making characters unless you are very good and very persistent. 
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    what exactly is the question targeted at? it sorta feels like its targeted at actually selling assets in an asset store type of situation?

because otherwise, everything you do will eventually collect digital dust. the world is moving along, so do technical requirements, styletrends etc.
    if you work employed in a company you can be sure your stuff gathers dust the moment you ship your product. Even with all the good intentions of reusing stuff the next time, it barely ever happens.
    You'd think a callodudy game has the perfect AK47 already, yet this stuff gets remade every time, more polies, more texturespace, changed or better workflows etc.

Or are you trying to find a job and want to stay relevant? in that case, mostly go for quality. technical execution second and speed last. because production will push you up to speed. but you should be able to deliver quality stuff.