Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beach telescope

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
teodar23 sublime tool

Finally got some momentum and decided to texture this model.
Initial model is done in rhino a few years ago, now i took it in houdini for some nice rounded edges, then optimized and UV'd in max.
Baking was done in SD as was the entire texturing.
The material is a layered one inside designer, starting from the base metal, bottom layer paint, top layer paint and a layer of dirt and grime.
All material layers are done from scratch and blended in a master material based on curvature, AO, normals, position and triplanar grunge.

I decided to take the substance directly into unreal and did not regret it. This way i could do changes to the materials in almost real time (lowered the substance resolution to 512 to speed things up). Final textures sit at 4096 for the 2 texture sets (substance instances in UE4).

I learned a lot from this process, especially on the designer front (not relying on painter for the heavy lifting of smart masking and layering things) and also used houdini for the first time, yay.

Overall i would probably do some things differently second time around, but i will definitely use substance in unreal in the future.
Cheers.

Replies