Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Modelled a shoe. How do I make the inside not have black /become double faced? +pics included

So I am following this tutorial: https://youtu.be/RM417cyk1X0?t=87

I ended up with this.
I wanted a sole so I tried to bridge edges but they don't work. 
I have tried extracting the shoe walls but reversing doesn't make both of the walls become grey. at least one of them still has black. 

I then tried to separate the shoe walls and sole.
Extraction and bridging worked however.....

When I tried to combine them.......

(Combined as in what I did in the pic above) Its not very smooth  

Is there a simpler way to add a
sole 
and make the inside of the shoe walls' become double-faced?
Preferably without having to separate the two of them?

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Technically the sole would be a separte material like glued and stitched to the leather upper. But in any case what you did with deleting the top and bottome faces and target welding, I would have just bridged and removed a loop to make it faster to do, should be basically what to do and should have a much smoother result when subdivided than the result you are showing with the geometry there. I guess either there is some weird geometry going on or the normals got borked for some reason. check the mesh clean up tool and unlock/reset normals to see if that helps
  • vdmdx22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel said:
    Technically the sole would be a separte material like glued and stitched to the leather upper. But in any case what you did with deleting the top and bottome faces and target welding, I would have just bridged and removed a loop to make it faster to do, should be basically what to do and should have a much smoother result when subdivided than the result you are showing with the geometry there. I guess either there is some weird geometry going on or the normals got borked for some reason. check the mesh clean up tool and unlock/reset normals to see if that helps
    Ah no worries. I had it fixed now with my uni tutor. 
    There were hanging vertices, just needed to select all vertices then merge them.
    Thank you for replying though!