Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Casco Antiguo Scene

polygon
Offline / Send Message
mar_torrales polygon
Hi everyone! I'm making some modular props and materials in orther for me to practice trim sheets. I'm making a little scene of Casco Antiguo (Panama City's colonial sector). 

So far I have the models mostly done, and I'm working on the materials for the different trims.

Some screenshots of the materials for the street and of the buildings. I'm going for a stylized style for the materials.

So this is what I've got so far. I'll keep working on the materials and trim sheets!
You can see more of my progress on my Instagram and Twitter too!

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good so far. If you haven't allready, I'd get your modular pieces exported to the engine you will render in, and make sure to bring a scaleman in to make sure your base proportions are feeling good.

Your roof tile texture flat seems to have a bit too much small scale noise in it for my liking, but tis not showing in the substance render so. I'd also do quick tests of your material in your engine as well while creating. I often find If I wait too long to do that, I end up having to rework my materials a fair bit.
  • mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    @Lucas Annunziata   I'll be implementing what you recommended. With the roof tiles I felt they looked "too flat" at first so I tried to add more variation though since it's a sltylized material it doesn't really need that much small details. I'm still trying to get that balance. Thanks for the feedback!
  • mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    HIi! I went back to the models and they had some proportion issues as well as snapping problems. So I got a human reference and searched about the real-life sizes of streets, balconies and such. I also separated the balcony into modular pieces to have better control on it's size depending on how I wanna use it.

Later I exported the base models to Unreal to check on the pivots and snapping. I'm wondering wether or not I should close the top of the roof since its not gonna be seen in the final renders of the diorama. I also want to add some vegetation, mostly potted flowers and plants since many of the buildings in Casco have plats as decorations, specially in the balconies. I need to search how to create them since I'm not that experienced with creating plants and such.

After this I want to test the materials in UE4 and keep working on to later create the trim sheets.
    You can see more of my progress on my Instagram and Twitter too!