Home Career & Education

How many time should it take for making this (texturing and hair not included)?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stensword polycounter lvl 3

And supposing we start from a basemesh for the anatomy, do you thing it's possible to make all the armor, clothes and weapon in one day ? This particular example feel quite heavy on that part to the beginer that I am...

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    no, especially not as a beginner. Most senior character artists I have worked with in studios tend to work on characters for 2-3 weeks at a time in most cases, 8 hours a day. hero/main characters I have seen worked on and iterated for months at a time. One day is a completely unrealistic timeline to deliver anything of quality. 

dont focus on how long something takes, especially when you are a beginner, focus on getting it to the quality level that is industry level, regardless of how long it takes. A lot of beginners try and rush to finish things and it shows in their work as unfinished or low quality, because they either want to say they did something in 1-2 days or they get bored of the project and want to move on. you dont have either of those options when working in an actual studio, so its best to get used to working on projects for a long time, with many, many revisions and iterations to get to the finish line :) 
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    At this quality i would assume three to four weeks or more inkluding feedback. Highress only would take twoo weeks.

You could do it in one week dirty without any feedback. 
  • Stensword
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    At this quality i would assume three to four weeks or more inkluding feedback. Highress only would take twoo weeks.

You could do it in one week dirty without any feedback. 
    What do you mean by dirty without feedback ?
  • Stensword
    Offline / Send Message
    no, especially not as a beginner. Most senior character artists I have worked with in studios tend to work on characters for 2-3 weeks at a time in most cases, 8 hours a day. hero/main characters I have seen worked on and iterated for months at a time. One day is a completely unrealistic timeline to deliver anything of quality. 

dont focus on how long something takes, especially when you are a beginner, focus on getting it to the quality level that is industry level, regardless of how long it takes. A lot of beginners try and rush to finish things and it shows in their work as unfinished or low quality, because they either want to say they did something in 1-2 days or they get bored of the project and want to move on. you dont have either of those options when working in an actual studio, so its best to get used to working on projects for a long time, with many, many revisions and iterations to get to the finish line :) 
    Sure I totally agree before focusing on the speed I should be able to make it perfectly no matter how long it takes and it is always like that. When making a piece I will always spend a lot more time than I do once I have repeated the process on the same piece 10 times. And the good point is that once I am at ease making that particular model I become quicker on making all similar models. I say that because when you looks at all the pieces of armor, there is a lot that are very similar in term of "complexity" and structure. Same for anatomy once you've made a torso 100 times using 100 different references you automatically get quicker at least it's my experience
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Dirty means. I do it my way not following the pipeline rules. And not waiting for any feedback from the art direction.

Any game does have rules how you have to build the asset. And those arnt rules to get the asset fast. Those are made to get a consistent look from a team of artists. And to pass a working asset over to rigging and animation.

Its common that you model something and the rigger does say we cant rig or animate that asset please redo the topo. Or the artdirector does not like some shapes and you have to try a different style. And you have to prepare the asset for feedback. All this slows you down.

For example in some studios its allowed to use dynamesh and in some you have to model the highress with subd. 
  • Stensword
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    Dirty means. I do it my way not following the pipeline rules. And not waiting for any feedback from the art direction.

Any game does have rules how you have to build the asset. And those arnt rules to get the asset fast. Those are made to get a consistent look from a team of artists. And to pass a working asset over to rigging and animation.

Its common that you model something and the rigger does say we cant rig or animate that asset please redo the topo. Or the artdirector does not like some shapes and you have to try a different style. And you have to prepare the asset for feedback. All this slows you down.

For example in some studios its allowed to use dynamesh and in some you have to model the highress with subd. 
    I see, very informative... well, I was meaning dirty then lol (and retopo & texturing not included)
    But if you stick 99% to the concept art that you are given to translate in 3d, apart from the topology, they shouldn't be unhappy with the visual look and shapes as this is the very concept art that they approved ?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Thats not gonna happen. 2d concept often cant get translated 1:1 into 3D. And there is a lot of room to get it working in different ways. Its impossible to read the artdirectors mind. And some shapes have to tried several times and choose the best working.

For example there is an armor piece with 5 spikes. During modeling you realize there is not enough space for those 5 spikes. You make the armor piece thicker to make more space. During the feedback session the Artdirector says this armor is to thick i like it more elven style. Lets reduce the spikes. Make only 3 spikes. During a feedback session you may end up with 30 design changes like this. 
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    There are many different ways you can mess up the interpretation of a concept. Beyond that, often concepts are not actually in the exact style of the game or may slightly deviate from necessary technical constraints that you will need to keep in mind; all of which will have necessary feedback required to address how you resolve them.

Your skill level also has an influence on whether or not your interpretation of a concept is good. Your current idea of "99% matching" may be someone elses "completely missed the point". You're not a concept artist, probably, so you may misunderstand things without feedback from the concept artist. Basically, being able to interpret a concept while considering context and not just 100% match it without thinking (subjective, impossible) is really important, and also a skill.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    When I am doing art for other people I basically ask them so many questions to the point that the get annoyed with it before I'll even begin. Because if I don't, then I'll get annoyed doing things over a million times because they had a certain idea that wasn't made clear up front. Too bad for the hopeless introvert that so much depends on belabored communication. :)

So yeah - if you aren't just working "dirty" on your own, all that communication time has to be factored in. The more done up front the better IME. 
  • Stensword
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J said:
    When I am doing art for other people I basically ask them so many questions to the point that the get annoyed with it before I'll even begin. Because if I don't, then I'll get annoyed doing things over a million times because they had a certain idea that wasn't made clear up front. Too bad for the hopeless introvert that so much depends on belabored communication. :)

So yeah - if you aren't just working "dirty" on your own, all that communication time has to be factored in. The more done up front the better IME. 
    I see, so communication and being annoying to other is a skill that will smooth the workflow and quicken the process ! Good to know 
    (just joking but I get the point)