Home Career & Education

New to Hiring Freelance -- question on cost of a AAA Game Character Model

Hi, I am working on an independent game project and planning on hiring a professional 3D artist for a professionally done AAA style character model. I have not hired a freelance artist before and and I am wondering what is the cost of producing a AAA character model for a game? I know it must be expensive to hire a professional and get a good quality model but just wanted to verify and get other opinions on the price.

The model is a fully textured male character with a robe.15k tris for the robe and 15k for the body.

Thanks

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If youu need one month to make it it does cost one month of your salary. But highend chars does take longer to make with all the feedback. 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Just depends on who you hire. Identify what your maximum budget is, then bid it out. Go with who has best communication and demonstrated professionalism, then make sure portfolio is in the ballpark of quality you need. Even if you hire a total badass they won't make it just how you want on first go so having the clear communication is key. 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I've heard a few AAA character artists quote about $10,000 for a AAA level character.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    With all the reviews back and forth with rigging, simulation and animation 10k isnt much. Its 2-3 month of work. 
  • LimitedSlipStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    LimitedSlipStudios polycounter lvl 4
    @FrenchToast

its all about context. 

but, 10k wont get you a true AAA player character model by a US based competent professional who can model and texture a AAA character. concepted to professional levels, then sculpted in hi detail, processed to a game mesh of 30-40k-50k, PR shaders, 4k-8k textures, meshes optimized for articulation and facial expression and tech. thats just the 1st pass ready for initial review entry point...at best. 1-2 months in and now feedback and iteration are ready to start.

Try this...imagine Sony only paying $10k for Kratos; or Naughty Dog only paying that for one of the main characters from Last of Us 2. Never happened. I promise just for the model/texture passes these characters broke 50k easy, maybe even 100k. thats AAA. 

But this doesn't sound like your level of expectation. you are looking for a 15k tri body with and 15k tris in clothing. And it sounds like you want it to look professional by current standards.  you can get some semblance of this in a $5-10k range.

so pitch that- be up front (you want them to be so why not?).  rather than offering a confusing (and alienating) message of AAA for really cheap.  

good luck!