Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help identifying art style

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I've always been fascinated by the work of Gavin Stevens, specially on his Overdose project:

I mean, look at that. Everything is crisp, clear and blends so well together. It reminded me a lot of Hourences and his art:

I've also noticed this style in Escape from Tarkov, most recently, and I got curious: is there an art style related to this? Or maybe a set of tutorials that influenced a generation of artists?

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The first link just looks in the realism style, but dark and grungy. Second link reminds me of bioshock a lot. I don't think you're going to find an official title for a specific art style, aside from the name of the game or studio it's from.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I think every artist has its own style. When an artist is in carge of the overall style of a map or a game, that style becomes more noticeable. Thats why if you look at an artist's portfolio you'll probably see a few different styles as he progresses in his/her career and moves from one studio to another. On the other hand, for an art lead or art director - that style follows him/her no matter the studio. You'll see this in games when an art director that used to work for, lets say Halo, starts working on Gears of war or Doom. 🙂
    Of course there are coincidences but sometimes the art style is so strong that it sticks out like a photoscanned texture in a stylised environment.
    You can try to find more works from an artist by searching for their previous works or by asking them directly. Most people are willing to share info like that.