Home Technical Talk

[beginner] character modelling workflow question

vakdlfjas
node
Hi I've just started modelling my first character.
i got some problems with workflow and i couldn't find my answer anywhere so..
this character is for games or animations like cinematic trailers

by far i've learned by myself the workflow i was thinking is

high poly character -> retopoly -> low poly model -> rigging -> texturing -> final?

so i've managed to sculpt something but after i'm done i wondered do i make it one big subtool?
i mean do i have to make my character as a single subtool? merging all body head clothes?
currently it's 2 subtool head and body except hair things and clothes..

so
1. do i merge everything down as a single subtool or do i export like head, body, hands, legs, eyes separately

2. if so, can i just export only visible part separately and do the rigging only visible area like clothes only and empty inside? 

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    1: no you don't need to merge things to a single subtool. You'll probably want to use separate subtools because of baking with name matching and creation of an ID maps to help with masking of texturing  etc
    2: if I understand what you mean, yes you do not really want to leave legs hidden under pants or arms under a shirt.. but since you said rigging, which implies you don't mean the high poly, then you defintely don't want to leave hidden geometry inside under clothes for example. You'll be wasting a ton of resources, time and have a huge head ache.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would say you missed the most important part.

The Blockout. A "fast" version to nail the Proportions and Shapes.
    This is the first step to get approval form the Art Director or Lead.

In some Studios is called a Proxy mesh. This mesh is also used the create the Lowpoly from. Not everything needs a retopo.
    For example if your character does have some cylindrical object your Proxy object would be the final lowpoly.
  • Bobby_the_Goblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

If clothing is covering spots of the body, I'd advise when retopologizing to just not retopologise over these areas of the body, as they will be unnecessary polygons. However, do be aware to not cut the topology off right where the sleeves/clothing ends, as this may show when posing the body.