Home Technical Talk

Issue with Bakes and UVs Need some help!

Irraka
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Irraka polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys I have a couple of problem areas in my baking and was hoping you guys could give me some ideas on what's going on. I can provide the model if anyone wants to take look at it.

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    No expert but till someone expert in the area appears. Also a good idea to mention what app/baker you are using.

1/ Make sure none of your components are adjacent. Adjacent objects cause casting errors. If so separate objects into sets, or use a cage.
    2/ Check your ray casting distance and mess with it.
    3/If there is a possibility of mesh edit after the fact, then duplicate the model and triangulate the version for bake. Substance doesnt play well with quads, for example.
  • Irraka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irraka polycounter lvl 7
    kanga said:
    No expert but till someone expert in the area appears. Also a good idea to mention what app/baker you are using.

1/ Make sure none of your components are adjacent. Adjacent objects cause casting errors. If so separate objects into sets, or use a cage.
    2/ Check your ray casting distance and mess with it.
    3/If there is a possibility of mesh edit after the fact, then duplicate the model and triangulate the version for bake. Substance doesnt play well with quads, for example.
    Im using marmoset tool bag to bake the textures. Triangulating the mesh seemed to fix a lot of the issues but I still have the problem with one area. I also had another spot I noticed I have a screw at the bottom of the model but for some reason when it bakes it's making the cut out pushed slightly to the side and it should be a perfect hexagon cutout. Any ideas? 

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    The second issue with the hex bolt is just how this type of projection baking works. Without adding extra edge loops to the low poly to solve the issue, details will skew.

Luckily marmoset has a great feature that basically solves this pretty quickly in most use cases. find the "paint skew" button and dab a spot on that bolt detail in the skew map and it'll correct for skew on that area (it's basically a second layer correction to the offset cage, it makes  the painted masked area project perpendicular to the surface, so the ray cast is looking directly down at the surface avoiding skewing. And not outwards into the directions of the vertex normals offset)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Try beveling the edges where you have the casting errors on the top left of your image. Even where there are no errors a sharp 90 deg bend is an ugly thing.