Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animation Demo Reel

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
 Hello, I am working on my final demo reel for my portfolio class. my objection is to bring the rigs to life. please take a look and let me know of any tips or tricks you would like to share to improve my work. 

Replies

• Christine_T
  • Rafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafael polycounter lvl 6
    Nice diversity in the reel ! It's always good to get a good range of human body types and creatures in your work. The diversity in knowing how to animate different types of characters is important for recruiters looking to hire. 

I would encourage you to focus on a simpler selection of actions. The second shot especially is really dynamic and would be difficult even for a senior animator to execute succesfully. The base mechanics of weight shifting and energy transfer are not really present and it's super important for an action shot like this. I'd recommned getting some reference of a simpler action, paying close attention to it and really understanding the fundamentals of how they move and perform an action. Then you can practically copy the reference, which is a useful excercise in learning the correct timing for actions and movements. 

For the last shot, the same feedback applies. Find a simpler shot and focus on executing the basics well. In this case, the Orcs body is completely static throughout the shot and all his movements is in his head and arms, which is unrealistic.  If you have some reference of this action I think you would find the body to be fairly still, but for a character to move their arms and head they would still generate some energy through their hips/torso.  I would also suggest simpifying the camera move - it drifts along the entire time, a little unrealistically and can distract from the animation which should be the focus. 

Animation is an art form and the best way to improve is to keep practicing. Good luck !
  • Christine_T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the advise, I appreciate it! I have been working on an updated version.
  • Christine_T