Home Technical Talk

Seamless Shingle Texture?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
sarasumm polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

I'm working on a castle model and trying to use tiling materials throughout the whole scene. Right now I'm trying to make a spired tower with shingles that wrap seamlessly around it. For reference, here is an Assassin's Creed screenshot that shows what I'm going for:

All of the roof tiles are seamless around the tower, and they all are oriented the same way. I'm at a loss for how to pull this off via tiling. In order for my UV's to point the same way, they look like this:

And my model looks like this (demo texture):

Is there something I'm missing? I cannot figure out how to achieve this look without making a unique asset. If anybody has ideas, I would greatly appreciate them!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would bet the did it by cutting the UVs into strips, so there are probably UV seams running horizontally, just along the shingle bottoms.

Straighten out the shells, tiling the shingle texture. And there's very little stretching, because it's minimized by using several horizontal strips, stacked vertically to complete the tower.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick example, and an OBJ to play with.

Just be aware that you'll get some warping if you try to go too low-poly with it. Whenever you try to use a square UV on a trapezoid-shaped polygon, it's going to show some diagonal distortion. The more subdivisions within that trapezoid, the less apparent the distortion will be,