Home Technical Talk

Beginner question on game modeling

Hi, I have a few questions on things that i couldn't clarify from tutorials. The program I'm using is Autodesk Maya.

Firstly, when you  have a complete model, should you harden the edges on the normals or keep them as they are. Originally my model looks better without harden edges, but in some areas I get strange unnatural shadows like on the picture. Hardening the edges fixes it, but it doesn't look smooth and i don't know if texturing is going to fix it or not (i'm going to bake a smooth high poly mesh as texture) 

Another thing is should my model consist only of quads or only triangles or there is no actual difference. I know I dot have to keep faces with more than 4 edges.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    NAMELESS_ARCHER said:

0. I'm using is Autodesk Maya.

1. Firstly, when you  have a complete model, should you harden the edges on the normals or keep them as they are

2. Another thing is should my model consist only of quads or only triangles or there is no actual difference.

0+1. IDK about maya, but look around for adding 1 smoothing group to the entire scene.
    You make hard edges for actual hardedges.  (At least when i use subd i do to get the looks i want, in max)  This thread is amazingly helpful especially now with frank explaining things in detail. HERE

2. Dependant on your projects:
    Game Engines read Triangles from what i hear, dependant on your presentational goals also, i like to usually show quaded (clean flowing lines) on my wireframes, the trianglular look most times just looks cluttered to me.