Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Azula Avatar Last Airbender [WIP]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Fazijinn polycounter lvl 10
Hey, everyone, I've been working on my Azula 3D fan art. Any critiques are welcomed I have her face currently fixed so I did a Zbrush BPR render with my Proxy Hair. Below the face and expressions I've done you will see the Hair cards I put which is rendered in Marmoset. The Issue I have with Zbrush to Marmoset so far it distorts the face I tried Unifying In Zbrush and changing the camera focal lense around but can't seem to get it right on Marmoset has anyone come across this issue?

Thank you for looking! And if you like this work and want to see more too I have work posted on Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/fazijinn/

-F

So below is the marmoset Toolbag render with my hair cards and the face being distorted in comparison to ZBrush Which is up above.

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    first things first, are you working in correct scale? is you model tiny in marmo?  another thing is the camera in zbrush is not a real 3d camera and how the perspective works depends on the size of your overall model, so if you have the whole body in the scene where you are working on your head then the perspective in zbrush will not work correctly for the head. 
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Did you change the face shape between the last pic and the rest of them? In the last I would say it's more like Azula. The rest of them feel too wide along the centerline.
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first things first, are you working in correct scale? is you model tiny in marmo?  another thing is the camera in zbrush is not a real 3d camera and how the perspective works depends on the size of your overall model, so if you have the whole body in the scene where you are working on your head then the perspective in zbrush will not work correctly for the head. 
    Oh, thank you so much! It does come out tiny yes! After I've unified In Zbrush it exports tiny.
     In the export options, I put 1,1,1 as the scale. How would you recommend combatting that camera skew? If I'm Doing a full body? Originally I had it pretty big I still have that version saved. Even then the camera skewing was an issue. I've been trying to get it to match up with my Zbrush file for a while but it has stumped me. This is the first time it has happened to me. I have made other projects that didn't do this.
    I did some reading on the camera with Zbrush,  they say the 50MM camera is actually an 80MM standard camera in Maya and marmoset?  I came across this article but I Couldn't make sense of it? 

https://sortadone.blogspot.com/p/zbrush-focal-angle-tutorial.html?m=1

• Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D said:
    Did you change the face shape between the last pic and the rest of them? In the last I would say it's more like Azula. The rest of them feel too wide along the centerline.
    Ah yes, the Bottom one in marmoset was my original Azula face shape but I thought something was off about her. So I adjusted her face shape completely because I have a pure ref file with lots of Azula references her face shape changes subtly in the tv series. Would you say I should keep with the older adjustment? 
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    okay so I would definitely work at a correct scale in zbrush. If your model is tiny in marmoset that will definitely affect how it looks to the camera so either change the scale in zbrush and re export or change the scale of the marmoset scene. As for the head what I would do is to import a sphere that is slightly larger than the head into a new zbrush scene and then append her head into that scene, that will make the perspective work a lot better.
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay so I would definitely work at a correct scale in zbrush. If your model is tiny in marmoset that will definitely affect how it looks to the camera so either change the scale in zbrush and re export or change the scale of the marmoset scene. As for the head what I would do is to import a sphere that is slightly larger than the head into a new zbrush scene and then append her head into that scene, that will make the perspective work a lot better.
    Thank you so much! I will try these things now! I had it originally larger, I can revert it back. And for the head, if I ever need to work on the head for a character in the future should I always do this? Grab a sphere slightly larger than the head and put it into a new Zbrush scene to help fix perspective? 
  • JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    that´s what I was taught, and what I always do. Works really well. You can compare changing the focal length in your current scene and in the new scene while looking at the head and you´ll see the difference clearly
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that´s what I was taught, and what I always do. Works really well. You can compare changing the focal length in your current scene and in the new scene while looking at the head and you´ll see the difference clearly
    This has helped me tremendously thank you so much! I'll update as soon as I can, I'm going to add those hair cards onto her head now because I'm happy with the face. Ill be back with an update! 
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just an update to my Azula! Currently, I feel as though she is done but if any of you have any critiques or different ways I can push it further please let me know! I'm going to shortly upload some blendshapes and pose her! But before I Do, I hope this final result is good!

Thank you for looking! -F
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The shirt and pants feel far too stiff and tubular to reads as cotton/linen cloth.  It would almost seem mroe appropriate that they come off as leather, but I understand that wasn't the intention.  This would have to be a sculpt fix fundamentally to get them to read better with fixed wrinkles and folds.
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shirt and pants feel far too stiff and tubular to reads as cotton/linen cloth.  It would almost seem mroe appropriate that they come off as leather, but I understand that wasn't the intention.  This would have to be a sculpt fix fundamentally to get them to read better with fixed wrinkles and folds.
    You're so right! Damn, I wish I saw it earlier! I was so focused on the detail that I forgot the form. They do seem tubular and very stiff I see exactly what you mean! I'll see if I can sculpt in some Cloth wrinkles and fold thank you so much for your insight!!