Home Career & Education

No degree vs degree Salary

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stensword polycounter lvl 3
Hello, as I decided to take a year to self-taught instead of going into college, I was wandering what was the Salary difference between someone with no degree and an artist with a degree.

What actually decide how much you'll be paid for ? Only your degree or does the quality of your work also play a big role in it ?
Like will an EXCELLENT artist (like AAA level) "degreeless" earn less than an "OK" artist with a degree ?
Or is it all about skill and not about degree at all, as it seemingly is when it comes to simply getting a job ? 

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    a degree won't impact your salary. the only thing it will impact is your ability to work abroad and get work visas.

your salary will be determined by your experience level, quality of your portfolio as it drives how badly a studio will want to hire you, and your interview. they will most likely ask you how much you are looking for, so its good to have an idea of the average salary in your area for the position you are looking to get. 

a junior in LA or vancouver will make more than a junior in montreal or somewhere with a lower cost of living etc. glassdoor can be a useful tool for finding out what the average salary is in your area. 

the final factor would be leverage. if you are currently not working at another studio you have less leverage and most likely a company's initial offer will be lower on the range for that position. if you set yourself up to get multiple offers on the table and tell each studio you have 1-2 other offers, chances are you can negotiate a higher starting salary. don't lie about that though, chances are you will get found out. 
  • Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a degree won't impact your salary. the only thing it will impact is your ability to work abroad and get work visas.

your salary will be determined by your experience level, quality of your portfolio as it drives how badly a studio will want to hire you, and your interview. they will most likely ask you how much you are looking for, so its good to have an idea of the average salary in your area for the position you are looking to get. 

a junior in LA or vancouver will make more than a junior in montreal or somewhere with a lower cost of living etc. glassdoor can be a useful tool for finding out what the average salary is in your area. 

the final factor would be leverage. if you are currently not working at another studio you have less leverage and most likely a company's initial offer will be lower on the range for that position. if you set yourself up to get multiple offers on the table and tell each studio you have 1-2 other offers, chances are you can negotiate a higher starting salary. don't lie about that though, chances are you will get found out. 
    Thanks for your answer.
    I knew that the degree was a must in order to get working visa but I also actually though that without a visa I'll be paid way less than someone with the exact same skill level, as if it was a motive to treat me as a slave lol

I've looked for informations in my country with glassdoor but apparently there is not a lot of data so I'll directly ask here, according to you, what would be the best paying country for a character/environement modeler/animator ?
    I am not asking you the absolute truth lol, just your feeling about it.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    They tend to pay better in the US than Europe for the same job. 

On the other hand you have a lot less rights as an employee and you don't get free healthcare  so it may well balance out.
  • Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never get sick... Ok so I'll shoot for the us... An other challenge without a degree...

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Stensword said:
    I never get sick... Ok so I'll shoot for the us... 

... you ain't serious, are you? Even if you don't get sick, you might have an accident or might have family one day increasing the number of people at risk that would need coverage. I've just listened to a guy under 30 that had cancer and ended up with $50k medical bills ontop of his costs covered by his insurance - keep in mind that you might end up not being able to work in that timeframe, which might as well result in a loss of job and with healthcare being tied to the job also loss of healthcare insurance. Healthcare insurance is a huge thing because medical costs are very high if they hit you - as small as the chance might be.

By the way, its not just free heathcare, it comes down to costs of living as well and so many other things. Its nearly impossible to compare without taking specific locations and the individual into account. For example, I've close family in Austria and Croatia, while working in Poland. Even working for the same company at a different location within the country would result several hundred km/miles in additional distance I would have to travel, making it even more troublesome/time-demanding to visit family and increase the costs of the trip. Also in the current city I'm working at I don't need public transportation as thanks to the size of it and my apartments location I can reach everything on foot, this would be different at the other studio in Poland. As you see its very individual where you can save money.

There can be also additional costs that you might not be aware of, like in Finland your unemployment benefits being extremely low compared to your salary IF you don't join a union for at least a year (something Fins often forget to tell you because its normal for them, but its unusual in other European countries to have such a disconnected system - someone I know went from € 6k down to € ~500,- with costs of living in Helsinki being well above 1k per person; by being part of the union she would have end up with ~ € 3-4k unemployment benefits for several months, like in many other EU countries). 

In general to keep it simple: you can expect that the companies are well aware of the international competition and salaries adjust to it. You end up often with costs of living for specific location + roughly the same amount of additional income (be aware of currencies and their instabilities and costs) - prestige that the company has (unknown studios have a harder time to attract people than big names). So when you take what you earned and look at your own situation the results for it will vary a lot since the difference in pay once you remove the costs of living among the studios (of the same level) is probably not that huge.

And again, without a degree the choice isn't really up to you. If you need visa and it demands a degree we are usually talking about several years of work experience being the demanded, so a rookie or even mid level might not have the legal requirements to get the visa.
  • Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    Stensword said:
    I never get sick... Ok so I'll shoot for the us... 

... you ain't serious, are you? Even if you don't get sick, you might have an accident or might have family one day increasing the number of people at risk that would need coverage. I've just listened to a guy under 30 that had cancer and ended up with $50k medical bills ontop of his costs covered by his insurance - keep in mind that you might end up not being able to work in that timeframe, which might as well result in a loss of job and with healthcare being tied to the job also loss of healthcare insurance. Healthcare insurance is a huge thing because medical costs are very high if they hit you - as small as the chance might be.

By the way, its not just free heathcare, it comes down to costs of living as well and so many other things. Its nearly impossible to compare without taking specific locations and the individual into account. For example, I've close family in Austria and Croatia, while working in Poland. Even working for the same company at a different location within the country would result several hundred km/miles in additional distance I would have to travel, making it even more troublesome/time-demanding to visit family and increase the costs of the trip. Also in the current city I'm working at I don't need public transportation as thanks to the size of it and my apartments location I can reach everything on foot, this would be different at the other studio in Poland. As you see its very individual where you can save money.

There can be also additional costs that you might not be aware of, like in Finland your unemployment benefits being extremely low compared to your salary IF you don't join a union for at least a year (something Fins often forget to tell you because its normal for them, but its unusual in other European countries to have such a disconnected system - someone I know went from € 6k down to € ~500,- with costs of living in Helsinki being well above 1k per person; by being part of the union she would have end up with ~ € 3-4k unemployment benefits for several months, like in many other EU countries). 

In general to keep it simple: you can expect that the companies are well aware of the international competition and salaries adjust to it. You end up often with costs of living for specific location + roughly the same amount of additional income (be aware of currencies and their instabilities and costs) - prestige that the company has (unknown studios have a harder time to attract people than big names). So when you take what you earned and look at your own situation the results for it will vary a lot since the difference in pay once you remove the costs of living among the studios (of the same level) is probably not that huge.

And again, without a degree the choice isn't really up to you. If you need visa and it demands a degree we are usually talking about several years of work experience being the demanded, so a rookie or even mid level might not have the legal requirements to get the visa.
    Finally I feel like I'll stay in EU lol
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    poopipe said:
    They tend to pay better in the US than Europe for the same job. 

I wonder if that's still the case, the European market is growing so salaries have been going up the last decade.

As for OP's question, a degree is handy if you need to acquire a visa but that's pretty much it. Your salary will be based on your skill etc.