Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Houdini learning thread

grand marshal polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Obscura grand marshal polycounter
I finally decided to start learning houdini. Its actually not as hard as it seems at the first look, at least after watching the "houdini isn't scary" tutorial series on youtube. It teaches you some important basics. After that, I was able to implement own ideas with minimal google searching, since im still not very samiliar with what kind of nodes you can use. I'm planning to use the software for small things like storing specific data in specific was, pre-scattering things, and some vfx work, and I probably won't make full projects in it. So it will be more like an extension to the toolset I can use. I will post the results as I go here.

The first own project was to make a graph that produces similar results to what pivot painter does, so you can store the local position of sububjects, to be used later in shaders. The most useful use cases in my opinion are usually involving vertex shaders. Advanced foliage animation, pin tables, and stuff similar to that. These are what my results look like:

I also made a little breakdown of the graph, which you can read here:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/43381035

The second experimental project is to scatter stuff on other stuff based on a texture and some settings. My main use case is to scatter moss on rocks.
The current wip looks like this:

There are still some things to be done, like other than the rotations, I should vary the scale of the moss too, maybe be able to use an optional scale map, but I think its a decent start.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added scale variation which i somehow missed yesterday. oops. Looking good now.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is completely realistic...

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't resist to process more of them and make a small diorama. The ground needs more detail because even though the moss looks really good now, the image falls apart when you look from closer and you see the ground being flat and only has normal mapped details. So I will scatter some sticks and stuff inside unreal later.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flatness of the ground meshes was really bothering me so I added sticks and stuff and some subtle displacement. These were added inside Unreal, but since I don't have a separate thread for this, I'm just gonna post them here. Things are getting a little bit crazy from a realtime standpoint, but it still runs reasonably well. I'm getting around 90 fps on 1080p. There are no lods though so it could be improved easily.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The scale of things is not clear so it makes the moss look like bushes or other tall vegetation. You could add a cone or something to get a better sense of scale.
    Very interesting stuff, nonetheless, i am also looking into houdini. Could you go into more detail about the setup, specifically what drives the moss spawning?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Ill make the mannequin standing there next time. Maybe I'll add a few trees too later. This is a roughly 5x5m area. Moss size is a little bit exaggerated, they are like 5 cm long, so less planes makes more dense look. The moss is scattered based on a texture - attribute from map node drives the density of a scatter node.
    This is the setup:

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a little weird to me that you can only do things on vertex level. But I'm starting to get used to it.  Coming from pixel shaders, it would be more convinient if you could access data directly from pixels. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to make a procedural stylized edge damage effect.

• dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    it's all nodes, no code? not that familiar with houdini, some people were complaining that you have to code in there. 
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:

also this looks really beautiful. did you use fuzzy shading for this?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik said:
    Obscura said:

also this looks really beautiful. did you use fuzzy shading for this?
    No but I used smooth vertex normals and 2 sided lighting (stylized tree style).

About the coding: Its not absolutely necessary to code, but it can simplify some things sometimes. So far I haven't had to code to make these.
  • BradyJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradyJ polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, very impressive considering you just started using Houdini I just started like 3 months ago and have been having difficulties. but its now my favorite modeling software.

Whenever I scatter for unreal the hardest thing is to get the rotations and orientations working properly, so good job on that!

Are you instancing the moss to point data inside unreal or just exporting an FBX of all the moss together as one mesh into unreal?
  • bkost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Awesome work. I'll definitely be following your progress, Obscura. I've always had an itch to pick up Houdini, being a fan of procedural work and all. 

Thanks for the inspiration!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:

About the coding: Its not absolutely necessary to code, but it can simplify some things sometimes. So far I haven't had to code to make these.
    2 sided lighting? like turning on shadow 2 sided? don't quite understand. I would love to reproduce such effect on my wheat.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Obscura said:
    The flatness of the ground meshes was really bothering me so I added sticks and stuff and some subtle displacement. These were added inside Unreal, but since I don't have a separate thread for this, I'm just gonna post them here. Things are getting a little bit crazy from a realtime standpoint, but it still runs reasonably well. I'm getting around 90 fps on 1080p. There are no lods though so it could be improved easily.

Nice work, Obscura. Are these all static meshes including the scattered assets from houdini imported into unreal with lods and materials set up or you are using landscape grass tools, procedural foilage for the scattering especially the moss?
    Tbh ue4 scattering tools aren't the best compared to other softwares.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @melviso . Sorry, I forgot to reply to this. Actually I forgot about this thread...No they are baked into the meshes. The foliage tool is unable to give such density. Basically I bring the rock and the moss cards into Houdini, and I scatter them onto the rocks there. Then I export a merged mesh.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik said:
    Obscura said:

2 sided lighting? like turning on shadow 2 sided? don't quite understand. I would love to reproduce such effect on my wheat.
    Check out this thread:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/209623/smooth-foliage-like-in-breath-of-the-wild-europa-by-helder-pinto-mini-tutorial#latest
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    @Obscura No worries, mate. That's actually a brilliant technique. How is the performance? Would this be a technique that could work for games for next gen? I am guessing you are using lods with camera distance. Thanks for the info.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ported that scatter tool to blueprints in Unreal so now it can be used without Houdini. 
    You can get it here:
    https://gum.co/IRVhk