Home Technical Talk

system SSD stopped to boot showing only 16kbyte volume?

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
My system hanged during rendering  , nothing helps , I had to push reset button  and then  there is  no more bootable SSD.  

It's a kind of a thing with SSDs.  They never live long in my experience.      But before  I always got them turning  into bricks   unseen by Bios. Happens  once   in every each year usually on different pc.        And now it's another story.   The disk is still visible   but having some  weird  16 kbyte partition only  from what I see with  Gnome "disks"  of Fedora USB stick.

Have anyone experienced this and know a magic fix?

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    What brand and model of SSD is it?

gnoop said:
    It's a kind of a thing with SSDs.  They never live long in my experience. 
    No, it's actually very uncommon unless you're buying cheap ones without a DRAM cache.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     The current one is SanDisk  model SDSSDA-240G 2,5"     not sure about DRAM cash

But I have already a nuber of them: WD , Toshiba,  Samsung   2,5" ones and one 128g M2.   All died at different PCs following same scenario:  after a year or so of usage during a heavy calculation of something . Rendering   or reality capture calculating  a mesh,      my pc hangs  and nothing helps  but reset button.

After you push  the button  the system drive and only the system one  is  gone .   I usually have another ssd  for keeping  zbrush  things  . that one survives just fine.     System one  turns totally to a brick.   No other pc recognize it .

HDDs usually survive for decade at least on my side . 

ps. M2  128gb was the only one no-name  I bought together with assembled computer few years ago.   ALL the other that died  that way   was well known brands

I googled it and see people somehow get them revived    but I have never managed  to do such a trick.   Once a brick  always stay so.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, if its happened to such a wide variety of SSDs my guess would be that either they're being fed 'dirty power' (from buildings with bad electrical wiring and/or low quality PSUs), or your system is running out of RAM / VRAM very often forcing it to use the SSD as a scratch disc (which can eats away at the memory cell lifespan rapidly).
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Yeah, it's the thing with both reality capture and  agisoft metashape . they both eat your ram like a hog,    Still I have 32 gb on both pc , not that low  imo. 

And this time  it happened  at not that such a heavy ram load

People say SSD doesn't like unsafe off   so reset  itself  is what causing it maybe  .  it's just sometimes you just have no other means but reset

As of dirty power  i use only  pretty usual APC power filter that filters high frequency things.   not sure if a big power unit with rechargeable batteries  would make any difference?     But my guess I would have other issues too, not only with SSD if it would be  the power

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked up your SSD and it has no DRAM, so yea it was never meant to last. Low capacity SSDs often have this problem, as its one of the easiest cost-cutting measures manufacturers can do (but also one of the most short sighted). Always check before buying a new SSD that it has a decent cache to prevent unnecessary cell wear.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks for the info PolyHertz
    do you now a good site  to check this  DRAM cash existence?

I re-installed  the system to my other  wds500g1b0a  WD ssd  . Wonder is it  same bad?    I think it was in roughly same price range.

I've never bought expensive ones because always though they are kind of expendables  and wouldn't live long anyway

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know of any site for that, but I do know both the Crucial MX500 and Samsung 960 EVO have it.

My first SSD was a Crucial branded one I bought in 2011, and was my primary drive until 2017 (when I upgraded to a larger capacity Samsung SSD for my primary drive). I still use the Crucial to this day as a secondary drive nearly 10 years later, so its outlived nearly every other component in my PC, and it still works just as well as the day I bought it. :)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks  for the help PolyHertz.      I somehow have one long living OCZ  one, Also 2,5" sata  I use as a special disk to keep Zbrush  work on.   It survives anything so far