Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

All Nighter (UE4)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
Something Ive out together in few hours today, so a quickie. Hope you like it and feedback is welcome. I know there are lightmap errors on those meshes, which I couldnt solve on my own. They are UV mappd correctly as well so idk.

Replies

• MattJQuint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty cool man! I'm just starting in UE4 as well and I've run into a lot of weird light baking glitches too. Sometimes checking the Lightmaps in the object editor can show if they are properly laid out since Unreal automatically arranges them based on the existing UVs. You can always add a second UV channel from your modeling program and see if Unreal has a better when it comes time to bake lighting. 

It could also be from the lighting build quality settings, sometimes on Preview you can see blocks and splotches that get ironed out when its set to higher quality like Medium or Production. Changing your Lightmap Density could also help as well. I know for a fact that that when meshes are interpenetrating, or clipping through each other, even a tiny bit can make some errors pop up. I learned that the hard way haha.

Keep learning man! Hope this helps!
  • valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty cool man! I'm just starting in UE4 as well and I've run into a lot of weird light baking glitches too. Sometimes checking the Lightmaps in the object editor can show if they are properly laid out since Unreal automatically arranges them based on the existing UVs. You can always add a second UV channel from your modeling program and see if Unreal has a better when it comes time to bake lighting. 

It could also be from the lighting build quality settings, sometimes on Preview you can see blocks and splotches that get ironed out when its set to higher quality like Medium or Production. Changing your Lightmap Density could also help as well. I know for a fact that that when meshes are interpenetrating, or clipping through each other, even a tiny bit can make some errors pop up. I learned that the hard way haha.

Keep learning man! Hope this helps!
    Thanks a lot man! Im on it
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Is that inspired by the Brackeys Unity Lighting tutorial ? ^^ its looks similar, but yours has a very realistic style.
    love the kind of the depressing mood !
  • valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn said:
    Is that inspired by the Brackeys Unity Lighting tutorial ? ^^ its looks similar, but yours has a very realistic style.
    love the kind of the depressing mood !
    Thanks man, and nope it’s not. Actually inspired from some artistic shots in saw on Pinterest a while ago, but I gave them my own flare here!
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Then maybe brackeys is inspired by the same. It looks awesome nonetheless. I like moods like that ^^

• valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn said:
    Then maybe brackeys is inspired by the same. It looks awesome nonetheless. I like moods like that ^^

Me too! I loved that theme because it’s speaking a lot with very little and I though a lot of people would relate!