Home Technical Talk

Question about quads for 3-d model

Wolfer
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
Hi I have question, i know how it a good idea to have your models to have it where it quads as in four vertices for each face. However i wonder if i have something that is completely quad and i want to cut down on the tri, if it ok to do that, see i have this desk i made and i want to cut down some of the tri, the desk is full of quads but worried if i do that it will mess it up. here is a screenshot of the desk. just i hear so many things and like to find out.  Also if need more screenshot please let me know. Thank you

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Big misconception, explained time and a time again on the forums :smile:

Most simply put, if the polygon/triangles don't offer anything for silhouette, and it's a static mesh -> collapse them, weld them, delete them etc.

In your case you'll have quads all over your model anyway since it's simply just boxes, but for more complex models you'll end up with triangles, and that's totally fine.
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    By the whole collapse them weld them, you mean like one thing i did was use the dissolve limited dissolve to help out with it.  So it a good idea when your making something to have it as quads that way if you need to subdivide or so. Then when the model is done, then it a good idea to remove lot of extra edges and all like what I'm doing for my desk am i correct.
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Yep, you got it
  • Wolfer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolfer polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the help