Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

beginner in 3d modelling-question about weird shapes in maya[feedback appreciated]

Hi all!My name is Alex and I am an undergraduate student of multimedia design.A few days before,were my first <<meeting>> with 3d modelling. My purpose is to make a simple 3d room.But I have problem with maya 3d.I inserted textures from another program in Maya.The other purpose also of this work,is to make an old,blackened door.This was successful. Maybe it is a wrong process of my in extrude option in maya,or an error in the conversion of images to vector graphics? Some guidance will be  really appreciated
And here is the actual, non-3d curve shape of my chair

Replies

• teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey,
    Can you go into detail about your process? You do splines and then convert them to polygonal models?
    Is there a reason for this workflow? Why not do the normal poly modeling wf?
    It seems a lot more work to be done in your workflow, but maybe you have a reason for doing things this way. I suggest making sure that your splines are closed before creating the polygonal model.
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    Yah, your workflow is a little confusing. Are you saying that you transformed a picture of a room into a vector graphic, then imported that vector into Maya as curves, and now you are trying to use those curves to create 3d models? That is a unique workflow I have never seen before. 
    I think the reason you are getting weird shapes is that Maya does not know how to process the curves created from your vector graphic. I think they are too abstract for Maya to handle. 
  • alexandros8888
    Thank you very much for your answers.I really appreciate that!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you HAVE to make the meshes from curves
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I think you'd have less headaches using the curves as a proxy model (position/placement/scale), assign to a new layer..make layer a reference layer, and then do box polygonal modeling on top. I'd watch some flipped normals tutorials on hard surface modeling to get you started. Good luck.
  • alexandros8888
    Thank you very very much @pixelpatron! I know that the concept of this site is to try our own to make 3d animations and sometimes,it is good to give one to another some workflow-related feedback.But as I said in my first message I am beginner in 3d animation and modelling
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    We all start somewhere, I'd say a room is probably too big a project for most beginners. Start with something simple. Find a simple prop to model. A fire hydrant is usually a good starting point. 
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Offline / Send Message
    ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
    Hi, I'm not quite sure what you were trying to do with all of the curves but as someone who has used Maya for 6+ years I would say that this is not a good way to learn the program or start with any 3d modelling/animation. There are a lot of things you can do with the program but its important not to get lost in the sauce! I would recommend as a beginner finding tutorials and other videos to help you learn the basics, and the correct workflows that will make thing much less complicated for you, this is a great one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYQ98Q5UmNo but there are plenty more out there!