Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Traditional Indian Door

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sourav polycounter lvl 6

So, here I did more refinement to the wall shape and design. I am happy with my current design and next, I will start working on the wooden part.

I continued by experimenting with different shapes for the flower (this is done quickly with nanomesh). My only objective right now is to block out the shape of the flower and to see how it is going with the overall shape of the asset. I will leave this and will come back later to refine this in Zbrush or I will directly start creating in the Speedtree. 

I created a rough silhouette for the flower pot. I really like the middle image from the bottom. So, I am trying to implement something like that. 

So, at that point, everything is looking good but I want to add more elements/contrast to my asset. So, I thought let's add some red flowers to the asset. It will add one more colour to the scene and it will break the symmetry of the asset also. I want to try a small and large flower pot. At this point, I was not sure.

One more thing that I am implementing is, I intensionally opened the other part of the door a little bit. It is looking more interesting than a simple closed door.

I created a few more shape and design for the wall piece. You will see a lot of design in Indian culture. I am implementing the same for this asset also. While adding different patterns and design I am balancing out with the door design. I don't want the door to look more detail and wall to look less detail so, it's very important to zoom out and see from a distance and try to balance overall asset. 

After blocking out basic shapes in Maya I jumped to Zbrush and started blocking out shapes of the Wall. Again I am doing the same thing, trying out different depth and silhouettes for the top part. I can make this shape in Maya also but I feel more comfortable in creating in Zbrush. You don't have to focus on topology just focus on shapes and most importantly it is very easy to test different things. I am very much using sculptris pro in the initial phase of my sculpting. Later when I will start detailing my model then I will work with Subdivision levels. 

For example, I added some bottom support to the door. Generally, most of the doors in India have this kind of support but I end up removing this because it was not going well with this asset.

After gathering necessary references. I started blocking out the basic shapes. As you can see I extruded every shape of the door a little bit more detail than the wall. The reason behind this was first to get the understanding of proportion and second door is the main focal point of the asset so I want to try different designs of the door and finally I end up with this one which is matching with my key reference. I always like to experiment with my assets. Many times you end up creating some interesting shapes while trying different things and this is how you will learn. You can't say whether other design will look bad or good if you don't try. 

After setting the mood and overall feel of the asset I start gathering door references. As my key objective of this asset is to study wooden material so I want to implement a lot of things from sculpting to Texturing. I really like this yellow-painted door image and I am considering this a key reference for the door. 

I started by collecting references and imagining how I want to present the final asset. I really like this image as this is having good contrast between the wall and door. One of my goal while creating any artwork is to make it look beautiful and appealing. 

Hello Everyone, from some time I am not able to work on my personal Environment project. As you know once you lose the rhythm it's very hard to get back to work. So, I am making this asset to get back my working habit at home. My goal from this project is to first remove the laziness from myself and second I want to study wooden surface more closely and push my limit of texturing skills. I started working on this asset a couple of weeks ago. I will try to post here weekly. If you have any suggestion please let me know. Hope we will learn something from this project.