Home Career & Education

About 3d modelling

Can I Ido masters in 3d modelling aftér I obtain a bachelor's degree in animation

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Why not?
    But why do you think you need it?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Masters level degrees are almost entirely pointless if you want to be an actual production artist.

Source: I have one.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Only schools seem to care about masters degrees when it comes to art, so unless your goal is to become a teacher it's probably a waste of time/money.
  • saketpalla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So no need of masters ???
    If not masters then what should I do after I graduate .... Should I do internship???
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    You should practice and Show the World your Portfolio. Its hard work to create one.
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Can confirm I also have an MA and it's 100% not needed. I did one to have some focussed time to work on my portfolio and meet some like minded people, which partly worked, but I could just as easily produced the work that got me a job in half the time without all the extra stuff I had to do just being at home.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have a degree in scientfic illustration, no employer has ever asked about it
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You barely need highschool (GED, A-levels, VCE etc) to do game art. An art-related degree helps but it's not necessary. An internship is a good idea if you can get one. 

What you do need is a great looking portfolio. Good looking art will get you noticed and get you interviews.
  • Frankythebeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankythebeast polycounter lvl 4
    Do game studios that hire people from other countries ask them to have a degree ?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Having any kind of degree will help with working overseas, but only for the visa process. It's unlikely an employer will ask you to have a degree for any other reason than this.

As people above have stated, the portfolio is king. There are thousands, probably even tens of thousands of people every year who graduate from BA and MA programs who will either not get a job right away or worse, will never get a job in the games industry because their work simply isn't good enough.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Do game studios that hire people from other countries ask them to have a degree ?
    This does depend on which country you're living in and where the game studio is. Free trade agreements between countries affect where you're able to easily get a visa.

But most of the time to get a visa you need a degree and experience. Or just lots of experience. Generally inexperienced artists will not get hired from another country. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If you can get an internship either as part of your degree or by some other arrangement then definitely do one. 
    From the employers perspective someone who did well during an internship is very low risk compared to a graduate who's never set foot in a studio. This is even more true if the internship was at your own studio and you've been able to build a level of trust.

Purely anecdotally, I've supervised a lot of interns over the years and I think I'm safe in saying that 70+% of them ended up with a job offer when their course finished.