Home Career & Education

When and why does a company look out for junior artists instead of seniors?

kalosy
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
kalosy polycounter lvl 3
Hi! I've been a character artist for more than 2 years but with some additional notes that kind of paint a better picture of my situation.

I initially studied at a university with game art program but eventually dropped out after my first year, seeing that the quality of the education was not very applicable for the game industry (messed up modules of what should be solely about character art rather than mixing it with concept art, while at the same time having another module only about concept art, unexperienced lecturers or out of touch and a vague opportunity for networking). What followed after was a year of cleaning up my mind from the bad habits I acquired there and deleting everything from my artstation starting with simple projects. Eventually, I've managed to get a pretty solid understanding of the 3D character workflow and builded up a reasonable portfolio for an entry, junior level. I've also met a couple of professionals face to face and managed to make good impressions and keeping in touch sometimes. Of course, given the time of only a year, I'm not saying I expect miracles instantly and to finally land a gig. 

That being said, I've also like every artist stumbled upon rejections here and there, failed art tests (and successful ones but due to covid I pulled a big misfortune out of the situation), but since my only perception for the game industry is shaped by word to mouth and forums, I'm ignorant as it comes to when companies are in need for a junior. My hypothesis is that a junior is someone who has a solid grasp of fundamentals and can do a model from start to finish with pleasant results, but hasn't been exposed to a certain company's workflow and for that, it's easier to teach him your specific method, so that the quality of your work is perfectly fitting. 

But when there's an open position for a junior character artist for example, what stops a senior to apply? Is a company more eager to hire someone who's more experienced and doesn't need resources to be sacrificed like time to adapt him to your workflow? And lastly, is it easier to hire a junior than a senior?

Replies

• YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Quick answer: It depends.

Let me explain. Usually if studios are looking for juniors, they are looking for juniors. They want new people who can learn workflows quickly and produce results. Yes they need to be taught, but they are also investing in the "future" of the studio. And most importantly, "they are cheaper" than a senior.
    Seniors are more difficult to hire. Seniors have experience and want responsibility. Usually, seniors are also more established where they live and they do have certain expectations coming from the studios. Which makes it more tricky to find them. They are very requested though. Also, I don't think there are many seniors applying to junior roles (cause it's weird). And if the studio hires the senior, usually they were looking for one anyways.

Again, it always depends where and who. Think about budget and expectations. 
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Juniors are fresh eyes to creativity if properly instructed. If i recall correctly, Blizzard discarded every artist they had and got new ones when they upgraded their graphics back when draenei's came to the picture.
    Juniors are less money. Ofc it depends on the country, but european salaries are around 30k for a junior and more than 50 for a senior (it can reach up to 74k i think)

Also, positive thinking. There will always be someone better, more experienced and more fitted than you for the job. But that doesn't mean the gears are not turning, new people will always find their place in the business. Think logically, always improve everything you can, even your "CV and cover letter skills" because it is as important as your art. It doesn't matter if you send to 100 jobs, you only need 1 to take you.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    This post on LinkedIn seemed relevant
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/activity-6717046074667778048-6ORM

Its important to look at all applications of the medium. 
    There is a lot of politics in the game industry which by and large is pretty broken so I wouldn't always put it down to portfolio and what they think you are unless they explicitly say so.

This is the one profession that has no ceiling so as long as you have a lifestyle that gives you dignity you get to decide if your junior or senior depending on how you market yourself and to whom.

And to answer your question, most of the time especially for large companies there are so many people making decisions and so many projects get planned and canceled and usually no one really knows whats going on. 
    So a lot of hiring comes down to who you know and timing. 

As an artist you should distinguish yourself and find ways to build the lifestyle you want regardless of what job you're aiming for.

Though many applicants are looking forward to joining companies whose games they play, and that is how they want to be known and remembered so obviously its going to be more competitive for them.

Its a young industry so the needs aren't very mature most of the time. Many aren't aware of how much potential they actually have. 
    Like not just artistic potential, the realization that comes with life experience of which there really isn't a lot in our industry since its like an assembly line factory job for several employees.

Most just want to do their job and go home. Just like any other corporate job.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm not sure you're in a position to be making sweeping statements about how studios work until you've worked in at least a couple and you've been exposed to management at a semi senior level tbh - the internet is largely bullshit after all.

In answer to the question...
    A company will hire juniors when they need to grow team size in an effort to get more things made. 

They hire seniors when they need people with the experience and vision to plan 6-12 months ahead and teach the juniors to do stuff.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    It would help of OP was more specific about the company they are aiming for, however its a general question so it made sense to generalize that the situation isn't ideal.

Not all companies will value their workers but there are those that do. 
    Glass door gives a good idea of trends though you have to be the one to decide what you are worth.

There are companies that have done away with junior/senior bs primarily because of the nature of the work requires versatility.

And there are others that keep these titles to organize their workforce and hold out of compensation and benefits.
    Many times this is very market dependent and has nothing to do with how good or experience you might be.

Just the fact that so many here that remain anonymous for fear of being blacklisted shows that there are real problems with speaking up for what is right.

I mean just had a situation where a good many seniors were accused of sexual assault wtf.
    There's so many others who knew and did nothing.

Maybe they ought to put that on their resumes.

It took a pandemic for our industry to realise that work from home was a possibility and they could trust people with their IP outside of the workplace.
    Considering how important art and talent seems to be for them one would think they would be above other archaic corporate structures.
  • Benjammin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    NikhilR said:
    There are companies that have done away with junior/senior bs primarily because of the nature of the work requires versatility.

Yeah, and some of those companies with flat hierarchies are the most notorious for crunch.

Being a senior artist doesn't mean that menial/boring work is somehow beneath you, it means you're expected to get sh*t done in a professional and efficient manner, and be a role model/mentor to the juniors. Its about responsibility, not status.

It took a pandemic for our industry to realise that work from home was a possibility and they could trust people with their IP outside of the workplace.
    Its possible, but a lot harder. 

Considering how important art and talent seems to be for them one would think they would be above other archaic corporate structures.

Thing is, all that talent is useless if it doesn't produce the results that are needed. 

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    A senior is someone who can take a task and finish it on their own with minimum feedback, a junior on the other hand needs a lot of feedback and guidance from his/hers peers. If a company is searching for a junior it probably means that their current staff is able and has time to grab a junior and tutor him.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, I agree with what Zi0 said.

It could be a mix of salary or when there's room for a Junior, in production. This is just how I see it. If there's a Lead at a studio, then bringing in a Junior early on in production makes sense, to learn the ropes,. The Junior-Mid-Senior just comes from experience in the field or under the company. Like, after one game-dev cycle, then that Junior could become an Associate or Mid-level. Bringing in a Senior late in production screams out needing to get the game out asap. The Senior role works differently with every studio, getting the promotion within the studio or bringing someone onboard who already knows how the workflow works, it's just getting familiar with the studio's pipeline. The flipside on the Junior's end, is the common trend of what artists might do when the break in the industry, either through working under a contract, or if a job offer comes in, or something happens is if they're reliable to stay with the company after a dev-cycle.