Home Technical Talk

Maya - Camera clipping - Far clip plane not effecting.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
Heya folks trying to figure out how i can see my hair cards from abit further away! whenever i zoom out they clip an the far clip plane does not seem to have any effect on how theyre showing up in the view port? anyone shared this issue. Cheers.

Replies

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    I would play with both near clip and far clip as well as the transparency algorithm is you are using viewport 2.0. Usually changing that will drastically alter how cards look on screen but also break SSAO in some cases. Switch between them and see what works best.
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii said:
    I would play with both near clip and far clip as well as the transparency algorithm is you are using viewport 2.0. Usually changing that will drastically alter how cards look on screen but also break SSAO in some cases. Switch between them and see what works best.
    The "Depth peeling" option is the only one that works with the hair cards for me. 

Played with both near and far clip off the cam in the orthographic view and it does not change anything for the card, the near clip works just how it should making it let me see through the mesh but the far clip which i though would be the issue did not change anything.
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    How big is the mesh in relation to the grid?
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is how large it is

• gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Group it up and scale it way down. That or change maya's working units. Right now it's kinda huge.
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yer you're super right it was! completely forgot the unit scale was different in here. Sadly its still doing it now its more closely the correct size. the clip planes still are not doing very much, its odd as the hair itself almost no matter how far out i go remains fine. Mhmm will try meddling with the clipping planes abit more see if i can find a specific number. (Its in CM now btw i put a 182 cm pole to see around 6ft) was far to bloody big before haha. I think the size off a car