Home Career & Education

How did you pick your specialization in the 3D pipeline?

Apologies for the wall of text but I am having a bit of a career-planning crisis right now.

Hello, a little bit about me, I am fairly new to the 3D animation, and art in general. I am currently going to a state university for a Multi-Media Production major with a focus in 3D animation, cinema, and sound design. It basically teaches how to use programs like Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Maya, etc., and covers things like design principles, storytelling through storyboarding, conveying messages clearly, all that jazz. With my focus, I'm hoping to move to LA eventually (have lived in Seattle my whole life) and break into the film industry, preferably animated feature films.

So, that's a little bit about me and what I am currently studying. I know I want to work on animated films, but I guess I don't know what my final specialization should be. I already have experience in Maya through my school email (not through my degree yet), and have been learning animation. So far, I've done bouncing balls, walk cycles, and basic posing, and am still self-teaching. Animation is super cool to me, especially character animation, but I find it difficult. I have always been a visual learner, and while I love drawing characters and looking at other people's models, I love seeing things move across the screen, come to life, and tell a story.

Meanwhile, I have always been in love with the visuals and eye candy of animated films, especially with the films that came out in the last few years at Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. Frozen 2 (probably my favorite movie in this regard) sent me over the moon with how beautiful it looked and I am now certain that it's the lighting that pulls me in and makes the animation look fantastic. Sometimes in Maya, I don't do anything but stick in a random rig or object and light the scene to make it look amazing. It made me seriously consider becoming a lighter, not to mention lighters are in higher demand than character animators. However, I would like to develop myself at a single studio eventually if possible, and from what I understand lighters are more contract-based, which I'm not sure I like.

This brings me to the main dilemma: my education. I know my major covers a lot of different aspects of film and such. If I choose animation, I would probably have to do something like Animation Mentor after my degree, but then it'll feel like my degree was not as useful because it didn't specialize. I would be open to self-teaching myself but that would take much longer. However, If I choose lighting, there doesn't seem to be many options in terms of proper education so I'm worried I would have to self-teach as well with less resources available to me because lighting isn't nearly as possible.

Now that I've put my thought process in words, how did you guys in a similar boat as me (or just 3D artists in general) make your decision? Is choosing what to specialize in something you just knew? I'm just wondering what I should do realistically with my current situation. Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The best bet is to make your skills like a T, mostly broad and a little depth, and then go deep in one particular area.

Many places will choose those with greater width, than those who only know one thing well but not much else. We want people who can pivot.

It's too early to specialize IMHO. Dive into multiple topics, whatever seems really interesting.

Something will pop out at you after awhile.

And don't forget, even in an area you're initially passionate about, there will be plenty of difficult times, where you just need to stick with it and not give up.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would say my profession is scene assembly and rendering. And i havnt chosen it.
    There was a need in the studio that someone has todo it. First year i hate it. Now i love it.

Be interesting in everything and take the risk to change the path. Every new skill makes you a better artist.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    An interesting podcast. With some good insides.
    https://youtu.be/X10bMwMhNSA