Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wooden Gold Rifle

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
Been working on this sniper for the better part of two weeks. Just finished up the modeling and moving onto UVs and textures. If there is any C&C please don't hesitate.

I did a different sling and a different muzzle brake. I couldn't get the brake the way that the concept showed so I designed a different one.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I am no pro weapon artist but to me this looks good.
    Are you SubD modeling this? 
    What program are you using to model this?
    It might help to look over this thread for a more smooth accurate appearance at the polygon stage.
    (once you see some professionally crafted short guides that show both wire-frame and smoothed version you will understand (hopefully) why i linked it for you.)The provided smoothed gray scale with no specular/metalness is hard to see.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Are you leveraging a guide/tutorial or essentially an eyeballing free form modeling approach?

And even if this object was to be rendered off-line, there are way to many redundant edge loops, effectively contributing too an unnecessarily high density geometry on top of a grid topology, as well. That at a glance will throw a ton of shading errors but what is plainly obvious are hard edged horizontal transitions on the main parts - stock & forestock - when they should be smooth due also to a lack of an optimized edge flow.

So I'd suggest following @DavidCruz advice by reviewing info he'd linked, prior to uv mapping.  

EDIT:
    A boolean operation for creating the concept side muzzle brake ports (circular holes) alongside an instanced array for the additional set positioned at the rear, is what I'd recommend looking into.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Hi there, interested if there's any further progress on this?

Also re-reading the above, upon reflection I'd frankly been a bit brusque / blunt with my reply and hope I hadn't given offense.

No excuse other than was feeling a little out of sorts at the time which one should not then proceed too comment on another artist's work with such an attitude so my apologies.

Cheers;