Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Unity Environment] Abandoned Linseed Oil Factory

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
vonpixel polycounter lvl 4
Hi!

This is a thread im starting to document some of my progress on a portfolio style environment piece in Unity using the HDRP.. The projects main focus is using a photogrammetry scan of a massive abandoned linseed oil factory I did about a year ago with a friend but didn't have time to really work with until recently.

Im using Unity because its what we use at the studio Im at- though we are about to start learning unreal for future stuff so there is a chance I will port over through this project?

First up- the factory scan:

We took over 4k photos but at the time the Steam version of Reality Capture only allowed 2500 (now only 1000) shots so we had edit the data set down. The photo limit change was announced right as I started working on this so I didnt have long to get it completed and out of Reality Capture. Sadly- I cant open the project anymore because of this limit to the photos..

Ended up with a 325 million tri model which got paired down to a 100k for retopology (done in Modo) and a 50 million poly version for baking. Id love to bake to the 325 mil version but my 64gb of ram just wont cut it via Substance Painter... :(

For the master mesh I baked out 12 8k Diffuse maps from Reality Capture.

From here I made the lopoly in Modo and edited the texture set down to 6 UDIMs at 4k each for Unity. I removed the roof because the texture and detail wasn't very good.

I have some further stuff that I will update with later.

Replies

• vonpixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a part of my pure ref I gathered of what the inside of this place really looks like to help guide me in creating the insides.

• teodar23
    Online / Send Message
    teodar23 interpolator
    What kind of drone did you use?
    Got any tips for delighting?
    I generaly think that large objects like this building are better off done in a modular fashion with tileable textures and some decals here and there but this should be interesting.
  • vonpixel
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    What kind of drone did you use?
    Got any tips for delighting?
    I generaly think that large objects like this building are better off done in a modular fashion with tileable textures and some decals here and there but this should be interesting.

I use the DJ Mavic Pro 2 for a drone. The other guy I scanned this with has the Mini which is also pretty nice- though the sensor doesnt seem as good. I dont think it shoots to raw.

As for de-lighting we waited until the perfect over cast weather to scan. It ended up taking 2 days to get everything we really needed. I further de-lit using photoshop and my AO bake out of modo to help fill in some of the deeper darks. Having said that- Im purposely crunching my whites down to achieve a more low contrast look in my abledo out of personal preference.

I agree that larger buildings are better for working with tileable textures- but this thing is covered in so much unque graffiti we wanted to retain all that. One idea I'd like to try is based off this DICE talk where you use a second UV set to drive the total colour of the structure and then tileables / vertex blending / for the up close textures.

If I was going to be putting this into a game I would probably go through all that effort. Id probably want to bring the poly count up on the building a bit too as I maybe went a little too hard on reducing the poly count.

• vonpixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a really fast mock up of of a door. Its pretty low res and basically just a projection map of a photo. I plan on replacing this door with something more modular and re-usable through out the interior. I did this guy just to play with shape and colour a bit.

• vonpixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I processed a scan into a useable chunk in my scene:

(raw 10 million poly scan)

Baked on a 10k retopo via Modo

• vonpixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I took a little time to revist the windows which I wasnt very happy with. I made them semi-modular so I will be working on breaking up the variation of them in the future. I think the scale matches much closer now.

• oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 3
    nice.

I appreciate accurate depictions of graffiti.