Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cardboard Bakery

polygon
Offline / Send Message
mar_torrales polygon
Hi everyone!

This was a piece based on an illustration by Shark.heads (check her on Instagram!)

You can watch the making of the piece here on youtube!

I really liked the concept of a cardboard box being turned into a bakery. Visually It was quite different from what I'm used to making so it was fun trying new things.

Replies

• JosephIV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JosephIV polycounter lvl 4
    Lovely job, remember me to very old cartoon comics.
    If you accept a critic, I can say that you could model the showcase instead of image and change some shaders. I mean, I think there are an style conflict between the level of detail, textures and shaders.
    Anyway, is an interesting style and as I say, is at pretty job.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'm low key hoping you make this into an entire environment and then have the ability to explore the town as a mouse or something :p

Cool job!

• mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Thanks @JosephIV! When you say model the showcase you mean like a platform or a "ground" for the bakery to be on?

I can see the style conflict that you mean. I guess the clash between the sylized model and the Nestle texture. Maybe if I were to hand-paint it instead of using the current texture it would fit better.
  • mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Honestly that's actually a good idea @Ashervisalis

• ArtNowSleepLater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtNowSleepLater triangle
    Such a fun idea. I love the details and the box wear. Maybe the box needs a little less shine on the cardboard. Since it is a little beat up. Hope there's more like this
  • meowvortex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I love it to bits!
    It was a surprise to see the original illustration, I really like the way you added your own touch.
  • KW_Arts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KW_Arts polygon
    Really amazing concept, and @Ashervisalis is right, this could turn into a really interesting a unique environment idea! Although if I was to critic one thing, it is that I am not truly convinced that the building is made from a cardboard box. For example, the creases you have made on the edges seem more look a loose fabric such as cloth than it does cardboard. Furthermore, perhaps you could push the narrative further? maybe have some bits of cello tape on the box, staples or dried glue. Just a thought I had, this is a seriously promising piece of art though :D 
  • mar_torrales
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mar_torrales polygon
    Thank you all so much for the comments! 

I got around and applied some of the recomendations you gave me. 

I like how it looks tho the bakery and the base feel a bit disconected. Maybe if I added some potted plants? Maybe some small rocks/stones ?
    I'll keep thinking about it.