Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Aleyera

Aleyera
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aleyera polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone! Not much else to do during COVID lockdowns so I decided learning how to draw again will be a good way to pass the time. I'm mostly interested in environments, interiors and props rather than character or animal design but they are areas I will practice in time but not yet. Just going to stick to things that I like the most to get me started. 

So, at the moment I'm starting with perspective. Learning the rules again and getting comfortable drawing shapes mostly in 2P Perspective. My current challenges are drawing cylinders and intersecting shapes like the cube and cylinder below. But the more I draw them the easier it gets. Will be trying to incorporate some real world prop studies like cups, containers etc this week too. I think I might dabble in some 3P Perspective with some shapes this week too. 

Constructive critique is most welcome. I want to get a strong foundation. Also, any useful books, videos, advice is also appreciated :)

Replies

• Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment I'm using Scott Robertson's book and these are some exercises. Surprisingly useful. I felt so stiff doing them and slowly my hand started to loosen up as I did more. You can tell with the curve exercising on the left to the right. Quite different I think!! 

• Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One-Point & Two-Point Perspective exercises

• Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent most of the time learning and practicing some theory. Learnt how to mirror curves to create an arch and then mirror the arch on top of a box. Also practiced drawing boxes with different vanishing points and started trying out some shading as well. I also learnt how to get a perspective using a plan and elevation. The plan was at 45deg angle to the picture plane. 

• Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't do much drawing yesterday as it was a bit of an admin day and I had to work as well, so I decided to try and draw the tops of picket fences to practice the drawing techniques for arches and mirroring arches. I'm not sure but I feel like the proportion to the top circle and the middle circle isn't quite right? Does the middle circle look like it's bulging a lot??   

Anyway going to practice drawing some more different shapes in orthographical view and then draw a fence in 2P perspective a bit later in the week. 

I was also really inspired by Tit's sketchbook and the watercolour paintings were so inspiring to me! So I bought some basic watercolours and some watercolour paper and will start cracking onto some colour theory next week. I also have some graphite pencils coming my way too :) So I will also be practising some shading, values and lighting with some basic shapes this week too. 
  • Aleyera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't get to do much today so these are a few sketches I squeezed in throughout the day. This is all done freehand except for the top left which I posted about earlier today. Still have some more practice to do but it's been a useful exercise!