Home Marmoset

Wired effect in baking

Hi, 

sorry form my English any way I'm new to 3d and i'm working on creating a (Fire Hydrant) i created the HP and the LP but when i tried to bake it in marmoset toolbag it's giving me this wired effect as showing in the photo below please can any one till me y? 
LP:

HP:

Thanks. 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    This is the expected behavior. The issue stems from having a faceted low poly mesh that doesn't match the curvature of the high poly. Generally the best way to fix this is to increase the number of sides on the low poly cylinder.

Some more info here: https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/#bestresults - scroll down to The Right Number Of Sides
  • ama91
  • DavidTellez3D
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidTellez3D polycounter lvl 4
    Having some issues baking in Marmoset can anyone advise? I am getting these artifacts on certain pieces. They are only visible when zoomed in but my OCD doesn't want to let this slide? Is there a fix or should I just move on? I modeled in Maya and baking in Marmoset Toolbag 3.08. Ive tired everything possible from adding more geo to moving edge seam but I still get these artifacts. 
  • EarthQuake
    Having some issues baking in Marmoset can anyone advise? I am getting these artifacts on certain pieces. They are only visible when zoomed in but my OCD doesn't want to let this slide? Is there a fix or should I just move on? I modeled in Maya and baking in Marmoset Toolbag 3.08. Ive tired everything possible from adding more geo to moving edge seam but I still get these artifacts. 
    If you're talking about those faint, bright lines, this is generally due to having long, thin triangles, and the normal map not having enough resolution to fully compensate for them. If you bump up your bake resolution, you should see this get better, and if you reduce it, it will likely get worse.

Other things you can try are reworking the low poly mesh so the topology is in more of an even, grid-like pattern so you don't have those long, thing triangles. Simplifying the low to remove the inset area (so you just have a couple flat quads in this area), would likely eliminate the problem too. Since this is the back of a buttstock, it likely won't be seen up close in-game.