Home Technical Talk

Advice on monitor setup

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nixellion polycounter lvl 7
Hi all! I hope this is the right thread to ask this in, if not, feel free to correct me.

I'm looking for some help, advice, use cases and anything that could help me decide which monitor to buy.

My current setup:

I used 3 monitors before for years, a mix match of stuff I had. Main is 2560x1440 60Hz IPS with two TN monitors at 1920x1080 and 1920x1200, all 60Hz, and all dating 7-10 years back.

I ditched 2 smaller monitors and deciding to move on to a new setup, and I'm not sure which setup to spend money on short term and long term.

Plans:

I am thinking about only going for 2 monitors now. Short term I want to buy just 1. And long term I may replace my second monitor too if there's reason for it. I'm not sure whether to have 2 16:9 1440p monitors or 21:9 + 16:9? I like to open many windows and stack them side by side as well as use fullscreen depending on what I work on.

Short term I'm thinking at buying new "Main" monitor and keeping my current 2560x1440 as secondary.

What I'm sure I want is 144Hz and 1440p. I'm considering ultrawide, but the problem is that I can't seem to find any flat ultrawides with 1440p and 144Hz, they are all curved nowadays. I'm worried that curve may be a problem for work.

Usecase:

My main work is 3D character animation and rigging, I also do a lot of scripting and coding, working in game engines, a bit of video editing and some fx now and then. And, of course, gaming. I'm fine with bezels at the sides for games that don't support ultrawide. I think.

Things I'm worried about:

- Lack of flat 21:9 1440p 144+Hz monitors, why is that?
- Curve - I've heard that it takes a few weeks to get used to the curve and then if you get back to working with flat monitor brain needs to adjust again, leading to backward-warped look. I'm worried about combining flat and curved monitor, and if I go to the office - having curved at home and flat at work. I know this effect first hand as someone who wears glasses, I did have very large glasses that warped the image and after a while everything looked warped the wrong way without them. Took a few weeks to adjust back with new glasses. It may be better for gaming and viewing movies, but I'm gonna use it professionally, so that may be a problem.
- Price - 16:9 monitors are mostly cheaper, and there are a lot more options at 1440 144Hz. So is it even worth it?

Thanks for your time and attention!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got a couple 27" 1440p's, they're 75Hz, higher fps is not something I need.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2730152/#Comment_2730152

I suppose you've seen the OP in that topic already.

People are showing their setups here, not sure if this is helpful, but you could ask individuals for details.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/220687/show-your-workspace
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    In my experience curved screens don't need adjustment at all. I have two setups on my desk - one a single curved screen, the other an older regular dual screen setup and I'm constantly switching between them. Hard to give up on the Eizo in that older setup but the replacement is definitely going to be another single curved screen. So much better to be rid of the bezels (and save desk space, color accuracy differences, less heat output, etc).

The only thing you perhaps might want to make sure when looking at curved screens is to not go for the low end - I saw some cheap models in store that had a rather shiny surface, really irritating when moving your head right in front of them. Plenty of matte ones around too though.
    My vote is on either 34-inch at 1440p or 38-inch at 1600p.

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    thomasp said:
    In my experience curved screens don't need adjustment at all. I have two setups on my desk - one a single curved screen, the other an older regular dual screen setup and I'm constantly switching between them. Hard to give up on the Eizo in that older setup but the replacement is definitely going to be another single curved screen. So much better to be rid of the bezels (and save desk space, color accuracy differences, less heat output, etc).

The only thing you perhaps might want to make sure when looking at curved screens is to not go for the low end - I saw some cheap models in store that had a rather shiny surface, really irritating when moving your head right in front of them. Plenty of matte ones around too though.

I have the exact same experience, it takes no time to adjust.
    I read a couple of time that you cannot draw straight lines on curved displays and it's impossible to do precise CAD work etc. which is not the case imho.
    Looks like flat ultrawide displays are not produced anymore, you might wanna have a look at 32:9 displays as well.
  • Nixellion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nixellion polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you all for your replies, guys!
    I just got a couple 27" 1440p's, they're 75Hz, higher fps is not something I need.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2730152/#Comment_2730152

I suppose you've seen the OP in that topic already.

People are showing their setups here, not sure if this is helpful, but you could ask individuals for details.
    https://polycount.com/discussion/220687/show-your-workspace

Sure I don't NEED higher refresh rate, it's just something I want to try. Mostly looking forward to less eye-strain and smoother gameplay. I ever went above 60Hz myself. Well, maybe back when I had a CRT monitor I think it was 75Hz.

thomasp said:

Prime8 said:
    thomasp said:

I have the exact same experience, it takes no time to adjust.
    I read a couple of time that you cannot draw straight lines on curved displays and it's impossible to do precise CAD work etc. which is not the case imho.
    Looks like flat ultrawide displays are not produced anymore, you might wanna have a look at 32:9 displays as well.

Thanks, well, thats reassuring. And if flat ultrawides are really not produced anymore I guess that's also saying something, eh?

Well, the only problem that's left is pricing, it's way cheaper to get a 144Hz 16:9 one than 21:9 =(