Home Unreal Engine

Spiral FX Volume?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
While working on a portfolio piece I've become stumped on how to execute a part of it. I'm trying to add a spiral shaped volume of FX particles that curve out from the metallic sphere that floats above the central spire, something like this from a paintover I made:

This is the first time I've ever done particle FX in UE4, so I'm a bit stumped on where to even begin with it.

I've tried using materials on a mesh (easy to control shape and color, but can't get a nice cloudy body to it like you would with a particle system), and using an orbit function in a particle system (but couldn't figure out how to create a clean / predicable / intentionally composed spiral shape).

Is there something obvious I'm missing that would just let me emit a particle along a spline path, and if I can be really greedy, with variable thickness determined along that path so it can start skinny, thicken, up, and then end skinny again?

Any help or direction even on just the right search terms or fx nodes to look into would be greatly appreciated!