Home Technical Talk

Map Outputs: Substance Designer vs Mixer

ParallaxVS
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ParallaxVS polycounter lvl 4
Apologies if I posted this on the wrong section of the forums.

This question has been bugging me and therefore I decided I would ask for help from you folks on this forum.

I understand the comparison request may seem strange, however the only reason I would stress on a comparison is the fact that both claim to be able to create materials and textures.

In that context, I do know that substance designer can create normal maps for a particular texture from nothing. My question would be more along the lines of if Mixer can do the same. Well, I saw in some Mixer demo the instructor was inputting the maps, namely normal, curvature and AO. Now I get why one would need them, but what I looking for is, well let's say one creates a custom texture and then adds grimes, dirt, rust and all kinds of irregularities you name it and so called unique surface formations in mixer. Now, does mixer output only the texture or does mixer output the updated normals as well along with other maps which would include the new irregularities like grimes etc. as well?

If my question seems complicated you can say so and I'll try to edit it. :sunglasses:

Thank you all for helping me!

Replies

• gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Substance Designer doesn't create normal maps from nothing.  It makes them from height /depth  you first create.   Mixer works  in same way.     
    The difference is just software interface and flexibility .   SD uses nodes  and  provides  a bit more flexibility .  Mixer using layers  which is more convenient in many cases  and easier to use imo.     But lacks  features  like ability to work in non-square form factor.

The workflow is same .  You first create depth/height , then use gradients and masks provided from depth blending and thresholds  to recolor certain areas  and give them different roughness values.         Both programs output  what you want them to output  i.e. color/ normal/depth/ao/roughness necessary for modern pbr materials