Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized Witches Kitchen- UE4

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ThisisVictoriaZ polycounter
Hello! Ive been working on a new personal project for a little bit, and now I finally feel like I have enough done to start sharing one here. 

For this project i'll be collaborating with two of my close friends who are illustrators. The two of them have been working together to make the concept art for this environment, and i'll be recreating it in 3D! Ill be using Blender to model and sculpt, and substance painter and designer for textures.
Heres what I have so far, I've got most of the major furniture in the scene, I just need to make the rug, table, and chair. 

Concept art so far ( this is still changing, we are still experimenting with different color palates, shapes, and layouts)

Concept illustrations by Cori Boerner https://csb31697.wixsite.com/corisillustrations and Madeline Richardson https://www.smilingfeline.com/

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Cool idea and liking the concept art, too.

EDIT:
    ...kitty's with wings <3
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todays progress: High poly lion for the table! 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lions lowpoly 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a high poly for the tabletop detail, and baked the table and lion mats. Looking pretty nice so far, but i'm not sure about the camera angle. I feel like in the reference image the perspective of some things are way off, and when i'm trying to recreate the pov in unreal it doesn't look right. Thinking about changing it to the angle from the bottom image but i'm not sure.

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New outlines! These are actually a post processing shader, they look much nicer and also more uniform so ill probably stick with these 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated concept art, with lighting 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added flat colors to the all of the assets ive already made, theres a slight bake issue on the chair but it should be easy to fix! Ill start making all of the smaller props after I get the bear rug done, that should be the final large piece I need to make

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, the normal map details on the sink cabinet drawers and side look a little blobby. I'd consider maybe using actual geo for those parts, just so they stick out a bit. I also think a lot of the pinkness in the scene should come from post processing and lighting, not texturing. Keep it up, following this thread for sure!

I also wanted to say you seem to be putting a ton of work into your art, keep going!
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis thanks for the suggestions! I'll see if I can get something that looks nice for the sink, I agree that it looks a bit blobby. Also i never thought of doing the pink in post processing but that's a really good idea!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi! Interesting scene :)
    I think the door looks a bit small. Generally dropping some mannequin in there might help with proportions and placement. Personally would move away from the concept, if it helps the 3D scene to look more natural.

Also, feels to me like style of the props could be more defined and consistent.
    This could be done by taking one asset from start to finish, extracting rules from this asset (edge sharpness, distribution of details, line widths, pattern collection...) and applying to the other assets (sort of a guideline).

Don't know how you go about the highpolys, but starting from a good base mesh (either sub-d modeled or compound meshes (possibly remeshed)) can help to achieve defined form and avoid blobbyness.

• stefanWilliams_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stefanWilliams_C polycounter lvl 4
    Including the lines from the concept is an awesome idea, and it looks like you're pulling it off! It will be interesting to see this progress
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fabi_G I agree that the door is a bit small, the more im making this in 3D the more im realizing that i shouldn't make it look exactly like the illustration, especially with the proportions. As far as the style of the props i have been doing exactly that so im interested in how I can make the scene more cohesive, im not sure what else I could do, do you mind pointing out specific pieces that dont go well together?

@stefanWilliams_C Thank you! Getting the outlines was a pain but I finally built a nice post processing shader that works well :)

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didnt do too much today but I brought the sink into zbrush and tried to fix the blobbines. I was having a bit of a hard time getting the results I wanted with the blender sculpting brushes, I think I defiantly fixed the majority of the issues by doing this tbh. Also I fixed the baking errors on the chair and made the wood more of a brown to see if I could get a good result by adding pink in post processing instead of in the texture. 

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Heyo!

Some things I think could make it more cohesive (and stlye-o-mat?):
    - Color pallet with fixed value range for the textures - very dark values could be reserved for outlines and lines. 
    - Vertical gradients. Removes some contrast from bottom and adds contrast where assets overlap.
    - Lines - if you go for line art you could introduce some lines into the textures, or some brush strokes.

Tried to make paintover on previous screenshot - maybe it's not good  =)

Regarding the furniture, I would look into real world furniture, even if it's stylized.
    - Stand of the table is quite massive compared to top
    - Chair has some weird leg width and seating surface doesn't have much support
    - Curtain fixture is unclear, seams like they are rolled up instead of pulled aside
    - Counter next to sink don't have board/plate on top anymore - this construction typical for kitchen counters

I think tinting with post process could make it too monochrome.

Just my 2 cents, main thing is too have fun of course. Much success!  

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fabi_G woah thank you so much! You pointed out a lot of really good things that I will take into consideration.
    As far as adding more black lines and gradients thats something I was actually already planning on doing, I agree that those things will really tie the props and furniture together. 
  • MisterWolfen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterWolfen polycounter lvl 8
    @ThisisVictoriaZ This is a really cool project so far, you did a fantastic job concepting it too. definitely like what you did with the curtains by rendering them flat to be more reminiscent of the concept, and it'd be cool to see more of that throughout the piece. 

Also keen to see how you'll go with the plants/foliage, cause those are always interesting the first time round, but are a really great skill to learn
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MisterWolfen Thank you so much! Im glad you noticed the curtains, I had a hard time figuring out how I wanted to make them look nice lol Ill be starting on more of the small props and foliage stuff next week I think
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added the bear skin rug to the scene. I also experimented alot with textures and diffrent post processing stuff to try to help the scene look a bit better. The bottom image is the scene with no post processing. I decided I want to keep some stuff pink, but I changed most things to a brown color, and I changed the color of the sun to a light yellow instead of a pink. 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so the color palate changed to be blue 

so ive changed my scene as well to be more blue 
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

more small stuff

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Life has been super busy so I haven't made as much progress as I would've liked this week but I have black outlines on the normal's now so all the inside details of the meshes should have outlines, not just the outside. Also I had the wooden antler thing, I couldn't decide if I wanted it above the fireplace or the window so its in both places for now, and I have a could small props made. Finally, I adjusted the door height

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I added the books in the cabinet and the coat hangers by the door. Next I think Ill start making the candles and the small items that hang on the hanger I just made. Hopefully I can keep up the slow and steady pacing!

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hanging stuff and broom

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should increase roughness of the floor boards and make them twice as long.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I added a dust particle effect, I thought it would look pretty cool with the sunlight coming in through the window, and some candles as well

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis ill try that out! I actually thought the floor was too shiny at first so I almost put the roughness up to almost nothing haha and I do see now that the floorboards are waaaay too short. Thanks!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I ask how stylized you're going for here? Do you have some reference images you're taking ideas from? I feel I might be able to give better advice if I saw what style you're aiming at.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis so i dont have any specific references beyond the concept art, im trying to follow that style pretty closely for modeling. As far as textures go im going for stylized pbr so that my final result isn't as flat as the concept. But overall my goal for this project is to make something extremely similar to the concept art in terms of style and mood. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would download the program PureRef. It's free and an amazing reference/mood board program. It takes about 10 minutes to learn how to use it, and you'll find you're using it super frequently. After that, I suggest spending a few hours collecting references. This includes stylized materials, models, etc. Then, reference these images on PureRef while working, and it'll really help push your art. The more time you spend hunting for inspiration, the more ammo you'll have. Right now your scene doesn't seem stylized enough. I would enjoy seeing individual props as you do them... Right now all the props don't feel complete. I'd like to critique them, but I need to know what sort of stylization you're going for, and the 2D concept art isn't enough for me to figure that out.

Did you make the concept art? One thing I'd suggest doing is checking out ArtStation and referencing the composition of images. What makes certain images pleasing to the eye. Focal points, balance, contrast, etc.

If you're aiming for stylized, I suggest making your bevels bigger. Bevels tend to need to be bigger than you think, especially for stylized. I suggest wonking up the wall boards so they're not perfectly horizontal. Your curtains look 2D, like in a cartoon. They're neat, but don't match with anything else in the scene. I'm having trouble understanding the purple part of the sink/cupboard, it looks kinda like goo. Don't think that everything needs to be horizontal like it would be in real life; put some angles in the room, give some straight edges a bit of a bend. Like in the cupboard at the back of the room; the shelves need to be flat/horizontal in order to hold the books, but you could make the bottom plane of the shelf angled to give it a stylized wonky look. I think you need to redo the fireplace. You could make it huge and a focal point, and make the rocks around it bulky and fat. Make it stick out from the wall a lot. The way things are scattered makes it seem like there needs to be an object every x # of feet, but try to think a bit more creatively about this. I don't think the room being a box is really helping the composition. You could have a raised area/change in height to the room, different shapes to the wall, and entrance doorway which sticks out, a staircase going down, etc.

Just some ideas :)
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis thanks for all the helpful advice! I'm definitely going to take a look at pureref, I've heard of it before but I didnt know its free which is cool. I didnt make the concept art actually two of my good friends are illustrators who have been working together to create this piece. Since the concept is definitely more of an illustration than an actual concept I'm having to change some things, but I really do want to stay as close to the concept as I can. 

I agree that the shape of the room being square isn't really helping the piece though and I think it's a fun idea to add stairs or something to help it be more interesting.  I'll try to go through and add thicker bevels to the objects, especially the cabinet, and wonk some things up to make it a bit more fun and stylized. 

I'm probably going to do a paint over with my current scene and some fixes so I can see how things would look.
    Thanks again for the critique, it's super helpful!!
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I downloaded Pureref and it was super helpful! I tried to gather different color palates that I like, other room dioramas that I find visually interesting, and since this is supposed to be a witches kitchen I gathered witchy stuff as well. I found it really helpful that i could type directly in pure ref too. 

After I did that I did a paint over from my scene, adding in some of the things I noted from other artwork that might fir well into my own. Things like adding a roof shape, making the fireplace bigger, having a consistent color palate, changing the shape of the cabinet, and making the wall planks less " samey." Also, I want to add hand painted details to the models, thats something I really like and I think will elevate my piece. Basically I've got a lot to do  :#

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started hand painting some of the props, and I changed the shape of the floor and fireplace! I think im going to add hand painted details to the wood texture as well. I like how the hand painted details look so im excited to add more. Im going to add the roof and start remaking the cabinet next probably. 

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Couple changes to textures

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now all of the props have finished hand painted details, except the ones I want to change or rebuild!  I really like the way it looks so far.

also I asked for some concept art for the ceiling so ill be building that soon as well!

• ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added the ceiling, defiantly looks cool, especially when you can see the sun rays coming from both windows.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! I think the floor needs more resolution, it's looking a little blurry compared to everything else. I would also brighten the colour of the blue walls to a value around .5. Will you be texturing the polar bear's eyes?
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotcha, I'll play around with the uvs on the floor and see if that might be the issue, and test out a slightly lighter wall! 
    I thought about coloring the polar bears eyes but I'm not sure if I want to or not
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe just colour them black (or a really dark blue).
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rebuilt the cabinet to be match the style of the rest of the scene better~ 
    Gonna start working on small props again, got this little book stand and magic floating pencil done today

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I think the lighting could use some attention. Right now the lighting is. . . well, confusing.

All of the furniture (like the cabinet and cauldron) is lit on one side and shadowed on the other, which would suggest a directional light, except a directional light would/should be blocked by the walls, props and furniture. There are thick light rays coming in through the kitchen window, but only on the second shot, and not through the door or circular window. Also the light ray effect layer seems to be under the outline effect layer which looks really weird.
    I'm not sure what is going on with the lighting, but I think a more realistic lighting setup or  an unlit more cartoon-y style might work better for this scene.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JamesBrisnehan hi thanks for your feedback, I'll take a look at the lighting next time I work in the project! Also the reason why you can see the beams of light in the first shot is because of the camera angle, in UE4 you cant see light beams from all angles! 
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    That's strange about the sun beams. Maybe it's the type of fog you're using or the settings of the fog or directional light? If you are using Exponential Height Fog, I'm pretty sure you can get sun beams visible from all angles by enabling 'volumetric fog' and turning up 'scattering distribution' close to 1.0. Then in your directional light's settings, turn up the 'volumetric scattering intensity' to get good sun beams.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/VolumetricFog/index.html
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh interesting,  thanks for the documentation, I'll definitely be looking into that 🤔
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive been working on the lighting, and I made some more books and some scrolls. The lighting is still wip im still trying to figure out how to get the sun beams visible from all angles

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think one thing you're missing is a bit of colour theory. You've got this dominating blue filling the room. If you really wanted to attract someone's attention you could throw in some orange, which is directly opposite on the colour wheel. Alternatively you could throw in some green and it would match a tertiary colour scheme with blue, green, yellow.

I really like your broom, its super cool. I'm also liking what you did with the cabinet. I hope you fill up that bottom shelf! Maybe increase global illumination and drop the opacity of the light beams.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis that's actually something I've been thinking about! When I make the fire I'm planning on having it be green so that should look pretty cool. 
    And thank you! I'm excited to continue making fun little stuff to fill up the room. The room itself is definitely too dark so I'm gonna make it brighter and the god ray's slightly dimmer.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How big is your door? It looks tiny compared to the chair, broom, cabinets, etc.
  • ThisisVictoriaZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis it is pretty small compared to the other stuff, but I dont mind it, I think it's kinda fun to play around with the scale of things like that. I can change it though if its distracting or looks bad!