Home Technical Talk

Spline Soft Selection (By contiguous length) or better solution?

Stevenl
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Stevenl polycounter lvl 2
Hi all!
This is my first post on Ploy-Count, Thanks for looking!

I could really use some help! I've run into this problem a few times. This is probably my most tedious case. (this isn't even all the splines!)

I have all these splines drawn on X,Z axis. now it's time to move them on Y. They will sort of 'weave' in front and behind each other. (also needs to look stiff, movements along Y must happen gradually)

It seems like soft-selection would be a good-solution. But the soft selection occurs over empty space (image below).. I'd rather the soft selection take into account contiguous points along the spline.. so soft selection strength fall off will move from 1,2,3,etc.. 

In my image you can see that point 10 is more selected points 5 & 6. This is not the effect I am looking for.

Is there a way to do this? Is there a better solution than soft selection? Using 3dsMax.

Thanks!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount!

It helps to put the app name in your topic title. See the info sticky in General Discussion for details.

Try the Volume Select modifier, and add a Gradient Ramp map. This should allow you to control the soft select with brightness values of the gradient along the UV of the spline.